Tips for removing a chandelier and replacing with a pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well the wife has finally gone and sold the chandelier in the bedroom. Which is great because it is ugly.

These are mounted so different in USA.

20210929_095315.jpg

What's the simplest way really, as the connection will be under two layers of insulation and I'll probably have to lie down to get at it. Imagine I won't be able to disconnect it through a very small hole.

I'm replacing it with a basic pendant - the kind you get from wilko.

Sponsored Links
Show a closer pic please.

There is probably an ornamental brass bell at the top concealing the works, that can be unscrewed.

Show a closer pic please.

There is probably an ornamental brass bell at the top concealing the works, that can be unscrewed.

20210929_133652.jpg

I'd be surprised if there are connection in there. Be a very tiny box if so.

Sponsored Links
Be a very tiny box if so.
Probably just a loose connector shoved into a hole in the ceiling. There isn't likely to be any box or enclosure, those two screws will go straight into the ceiling or a wooden piece behind.

It's got to come down anyway, so remove the screws and drop the fitting to see what's behind.

That fitting looks heavy and likely a 2 man job.
How much you sell it for, i quite like it, the Bulbs were making it look rough

That fitting looks heavy and likely a 2 man job.
How much you sell it for, i quite like it, the Bulbs were making it look rough

I'll check with the wife but you'd have to come round to collect it in Ribble Valley! Essex is a loooong way.

She might take £50 for it.

Probably just a loose connector shoved into a hole in the ceiling. There isn't likely to be any box or enclosure, those two screws will go straight into the ceiling or a wooden piece behind.

I think it's straight into a truss.

The wife will get annoyed as she holds it up while I look. LOL

I think it's straight into a truss.

The wife will get annoyed as she holds it up while I look. LOL

I'll check with the wife but you'd have to come round to collect it in Ribble Valley! Essex is a loooong way.

She might take £50 for it.
Was not an offer :) was just curious as you said she had sold it, but thanks anyway.
I would say thats easy worth 50 and if you was local, i would even take it down and fit your new one, I have a similar one on my stairwell, not everyones taste but I like it.

Could do with transparent candle shaped LEDs on a dimmer, than it would look good.

We've got other ones that we'd like to get rid of but might not be to your taste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back