Titan TTP451DDH Cordless Drill - Chuck coming loose - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Can anyone give me a bit of advice?
I have a TITAN cordless electric drill TTP451DDH. It works well – I’m really pleased with it — but the chuck is coming loose: the front end wobbles from side to side by about 3 mm.
I think this is not a uniique problem, so has anyone come across it before?
Any suggestions about how to fix it please?

Sponsored Links
There will be philips or allen headed bolt down the middle of the chuck, it needs tightening up.

I'd take it out and threadlock it first mind.

Can you see a screw head inside the chuck?

ew3CEll.jpg

If so, tighten it, but be warned, they are usually 'left hand thread' so you have to turn it the wrong way to the way you'd think!

edit: pipped to it by Keith, good point by him, if it comes undone again, use Loctite.

Don't just tighten down the centre screw, as you're only locking it against the right hand thread of the chuck arbor, and if the cuck isn't completely seated, you're still likely to get wobble or vibration and eventually working the assembly loose again.

Remove the screw completely first, re-seat the chuck, then re-insert and tighten the screw. You might also want to use some loctite 222.

Best way to ensure the chuck is seated correctly is take something like an M10 allen key, lock it up inside the chuck as you would a drill bit for leverage then turn it onto the drill arbor clockwise, then lock in the centre screw counter clockwise (left hand thread)

GA_1d_SecureAllen.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks Keith, RS and Sammy. Yes, there is a Phillips screw in there. Taking your advice about left-hand thread, I tried with all my might to shift it - either way, but it was stuck completely fast. Unfortunately it is fixed so tight that I stripped the slot in the head, so I'm no closer to a fix :(
The Titan range is supplied by Screwfix, whose Support is rubbish. All I could get out of them was this:
"Unfortunately, the manufacturers of this product (who are based overseas) are not able to supply us with spare parts." There was no advice on what to do...
Fancy selling a range of tools for which there are no spare parts! I wonder what else in the Screwfix range has no spares?
Grrr... :mad:

I've locked a drill up in a bench vise, locked an Allen key into the chuck and forced it until the locking screw sheared off before now.

Just remove what's left with some mole grips replace the screw with the same machine screw and you're golden.

Hello Sammy,
Thanks, but if it's a left-hand thread, I don't have any of those!
If the screw is locked in so tight that the cross-head is stripped, how will a mole wrench get it out?
What could I try...?

You can buy chuck screws on ebay- typically about £3 but they seem to vary from 4 to 6mm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...nkw=left+hand+screw+for+drill+chucks&_sacat=0

Screwfix seem to be the UK importers of Titan tools which appear to be little more than rebranded Chinese tat.

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/05813211-titan-power-tools-uk-limited

https://www.kingfisher.com/index.asp?pageid=390&storyid=25

AFAIK Kingfisher, the owner of Screwfix also, rebadge the Erbauer and Ferm range.

Once the warranty has expired consider their tools to be disposable. Reputable firms not only sell spares but they also guarantee to make the spares available for a specified number of years.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Fancy selling a range of tools for which there are no spare parts!

you usually get a 2-year warranty. Assuming you have actually been using it, I'd consider you've had your money's worth.

I sometimes buy cheap power tools in the expectation that they will last enough for the job I'm doing. If they carry on working for years more, that's a bonus. It works out cheaper than hiring.

Interestingly, it seems possible to get spares for "Parkside" tools retailed by Lidl, which are also cheap stuff. You might have to order them from Germany, but for the next year or so that's easy.

Hello Sammy,
Thanks, but if it's a left-hand thread, I don't have any of those!
If the screw is locked in so tight that the cross-head is stripped, how will a mole wrench get it out?
What could I try...?

Quite easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back