To replace or not to...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been renting out a house for the last 10 years where there's a gas Baxi boiler behind the living room gas fire, to my knowledge it's about 30 years old. The living room fire no longer complies with current gas regulations so has to go. I'm wondering whether I should look into getting a gas Combi boiler at the same time. It would be way cheaper for my lovely tenants if they didn't have to run the immersion heater all summer.

Only thing is there is nothing wrong with the boiler, so am I mad to even think of ripping it out?

I don't know technical heating engineer speak but it is a boiler which gets topped up from a small water tank in the attic.

Sponsored Links
At 30 years old, this BBU owes you, or anyone, nothing.

I would recommend putting a decent combi in. Better for your tenants, better and safer for you as a landlord and better for you at the next change of tenant when you have to have an EPC carried out.

Or wait till september and fit the new high efficiency back boiler baxi have developed.....saves all the pipework changes......

The living room fire no longer complies with current gas regulations so has to go.

As long as no one is sleeping in the room and the ventilation is adequate then I dont see what regulation it is not meeting which precludes its copntinued use!

It sounds like a British Gas ploy to fit a new boiler. Their staff get a commission if they arrange a quotation for you! Perhaps they just need that?

Have you considered having an independent engineer?

Tony

Sponsored Links
theres life in the old dog yet a good solid fire and back boiler kept with annual servicing is as reliable as any other appliance

why has the fire been classed as in breech of current regulations :?:

Thanks Tony, an Independent engineer a good idea, as I get it serviced by British Gas Engineers every year. They have tried to sell me different systems over the years but my philosophy so far was if it ain't broke don't fix it. Think though now, it is not an efficient system, and I plan to keep the house a few more years so maybe it is worth investing in a new boiler?

The gas fire sorry I can't remember off hand but it's something to do with the way it was burning, basically a CO risk.

This new Baxi sounds interesting, changing all the pipework was worrying me a little, although would that mean I'd still have to keep the immersion heater?

So many ideas, thanks so much! Anyone know any good heating engineers in Edinburgh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back