To Replace the Roof or Not!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently bought a house which is 40 years old and whilst the house is in good order it is in need of updating. I considering all aspects of updating starting from the top down:)

I'm under the impression that although concrete roof tiles are good for around 40 to 60 the underlay is more like 30-40 years. Is that correct?

There are no leaks that I'm aware but I'm thinking longer term and wanting to avoid longer term issues. There is a flat section all across the back which was replaced with fibreglass around 3 years ago.

It is a smallish development of around 35 houses and to date there has only been one house that has had the roof replaced and they said it was because expanded foam had been used and they were suffering with condensation. As I am aware our insulation is a Rockwool type.

Am I right to be even considering replacing the roof on the basis that underlay/roof felt is likely to last 30/40 years and the house is 40 years old? Or would you leave it well alone?

Cheers

Simon

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

roof3.jpg

roof4.jpg

Sponsored Links
As above, looks fine to me, roofs function perfectly well without any underlay.

Sponsored Links
Those tiles - Redland or Marley , are fine on our roof since early 1960's;)

Your roof looks fine and personally wouldn't touch it.

Currently just finished having replaced my roof,I'd apply the logic: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My experience has taught me, that changing your roof may solve many old problems, but then presents you a set of new roof related problems.

I'm under the impression that although concrete roof tiles are good for around 40 to 60 the underlay is more like 30-40 years. Is that correct?
No. The felt will last as long as the tiles, except where exposed at the eaves - which if not already done should be checked and plastic eaves trays fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back