Do I really need a roof coating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last couple of years I've had visits from roof coating companies (the most recent being Thermashield who have insisted that my roof, being 40 years old, is very likely to need replacing if I don't use their services. They have told me that the life expectancy of my roof, when the house was built, was only 25-30 years. I have always looked on this claim with some scepticism, however I was just wondering if there was any truth in the claim. The most recent price I was given was £2000 for a 60 square meter covering.

Sponsored Links
Over the last couple of years I've had visits from roof coating companies ...some scepticism, however I was just wondering if there was any truth in the claim. .....[/b]
Without Prejudice.The truth is out there :eek: but not near any of those jokers ;) Allegedly

Therma, aqua, roofy thingy ex-aquashiled staff setting up.

4 years ago none of these guys were coating roofs, now there are 100's of them, even roofing companies are getting in on the act.Most are ex-sales/fitters from the stars of Rogue Traders, Aquashield
The 1st in the UK, roof-coaters.com have over 10 years experience.An estimated 60,000 roofs coated in the UK so it must have some merit.

Roof coating acrylic been around for 20 yrs and over 300 manufacturers worldwide. Latest one has heat saving microspheres (Nano Tecnology)

Marley Tiles lifespan 35-45 yrs but this figure was created 30 years ago when acid rain killed moss and lichen, so many years reduced, since.

60mtr roof..... £1100-£1200 max

Will you be in your house in 35-45 years, if so, go for a new roof. Either way, roof coating does work and is a good cosmetic treatment and only consider it as a cost reduced alternative.

Hope this helps

harley

Sponsored Links
I`m looking out @ houses roofed with Marley Bold Roll - Now 30 years old ...I Know .I worked on them from built to `87. I`ll send you a report each year on their condition. So far they are fine :rolleyes: My 90 year old machine made clays do need some maintenance/ replacement, here on my bungalow. :LOL: In 10 years I intend to have a new roof. Nano, Schmano save heat on the tiles when the roof void is ventilated :rolleyes:

Nigel F, things do change Nige' there are 1000's of reports on the net refering to the new stuff that was not even heard of 30 years ago.(even you tube has samples of these nano-tech heat saving coatings, and I know there are gaps etc, but the stuff still exists).
They used to dream of mobie phones you know and instant messaging across the world. Mad their all mad.
MARLEY state a lifespan of 35-45 year, not me, the bloke that made em, fitted em or as a roofer wants nothing to do with an alternaive to his income. PLUS, a roof coated properly to manufacturers spec; (not by cowboys), looks newer, for longer than new tiles, so as a cosmetic treatment as well as a sealant, the customer at last has a choice, rather than a monopolised and limited supply chain offering no choice other than who they trust to give them the truth. Not many 'buisness men' would turn down a re-roof if offered the work.
As mentioned many many many 'roofers' are now coating roofs. Progress or jumping on the band wagon. ?????
Next thing is you will have to get rid of your horse and cart and buy a van, damn those crazy inventors, Bin laden is right.
:LOL:

Over the last couple of years I've had visits from roof coating companies (the most recent being Thermashield who have insisted that my roof, being 40 years old, is very likely to need replacing if I don't use their services. They have told me that the life expectancy of my roof, when the house was built, was only 25-30 years. I have always looked on this claim with some scepticism, however I was just wondering if there was any truth in the claim. The most recent price I was given was £2000 for a 60 square meter covering.

Life expectancy of a roof depends on may things like weather conditions, materials etc. A roof in the north of Scotland may not last as long as an identical one in the south of England. Mind you, a roof in the north of Scotland won't blow off either.

Our house has Marley tiles and has been happy enough for the past 40 years but I know the tiles will weather, the frost will get into them, they will crack and spall over time.

I could coat them with something to repel the water and perhaps reduce frost damage, but the north facing roof will grow moss. Its what happens. Also the birdies like picking the bugs out of it.

As for coatings that insulate the house, what a load of :!: Yes a coating will reduce heat loss, an insignificant amount. If your attic is already insulated and ventilated, it won't make a noticeable difference, and it'll never payback in your life time ... unless energy prices surge in which case you'll find insulating the walls and floor far more cost effective.

And, like other posters have pointed out, balance the cost of a coating against the cost of a new roof when it reaches end of life.

I'd rather eat my dog's penis than have my roof coated.

Hope that gets the message across. :)

I`ll never be able to eat a Hot Dog again :mad: :cry: :oops: ...Just remembered :idea: Dad`s house has Marley modern`s from 1968 ...no problems ...my last house Marley ( small- like clays sanded + coloured) since 1958 Replaced a handful and re pointed the verges...The only ones I`ve seen coated look like bleeding Lego- Land and belong to Pensioners :LOL: Repeating something like a matra don`t make it true - it just convinces more people . :rolleyes:

Roof cleaning/coating!

What a load of old SHI.....! :rolleyes:

Well said! robbing Tos*@rs!
Oh LOOK another roofer ..... expected reply. Headline: Roofing Industry sees red as alternative threatens their long term monopoly, shock horror probe!!!!! Get the SUN on the phone. :rolleyes:

Haha not at all Im all up for moving with the times, but its crap fact.
And I dont like to see people getting ripped off.
Ive seen many cases where innocent folk getting conned by hard selling salesmen who dont have a clue what theyre talking about charging what could pay for a complete roof, not what is essentially painting over the cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back