Today UK Deaths 359 vs EU 27 of 314

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
... However, given 100% of our Covid cases were imported,
What utter nonsense!
It hardly deserves a sensible response, just ridicule.
If all of UK's cases were imported, that would mean that all the 'imported cases' (all 282,000 of them) were immediately quarantined on arrival (or they suddenly developed a R rate of 0), and no cases were transmitted to the rest of the population. Meanwhile the R rate in the rest of the world varies.
But any lockdown in UK was completely unnecessary because UK had a R rate of 0, according to you.
Also, all the deaths due to Covid were of people who had recently arrived in UK. Quite how they escaped from the care homes, went for a jolly abroad, and sneaked back in, no-one knows.

Earlier lock down has a dramatic effect, even a week is likely to make a difference. R is running at 2.5. When lockdown is introduced it drops to <= 1. Must do or the curve wouldn't drop. Our system has problems doing anything in a week. :) I'm beginning to envy the Chinese. Seems Taiwan's number 2 in power is a virologist - lucky them. Taiwan's and some others population know from experience that things like CV19 are serious so don't mind their gov keeping data, even card usage as it can be used for tracking.

Ireland switched their civil service and others to manual tracking. 0.5% of their population infected, 6.6% deaths. From one way of looking at that better than Germany. They are down to around 50 cases a day.

Nice graphics too
https://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/29dc1fec79164c179d18d8e53df82e96

I have a brother who lives in the north so when the first cases came I followed the spread in the regions and sat here wondering why they didn't introduce some simple travel restrictions. Then I watched the spread grow and grow. Some people were cracking jokes about London and B'ham /west midlands in the earlier stages.

LOL Not sure I will ever forgive them.

Is that not true of every country except China?
Of course, but there are several factors.
- how popular your country is for international travel
- when you actually knew there was a problem.

It is now believed we had Covid infections here in December.

If Mrs Jones has plumbing problems, and lives with a drip
I can have a fiddle and leave her happy.

If she has a fever then I'm the wrong man.

Reminds me of a (Chubby Brown?) joke, about him being stationed abroad during his national service.
Upon arrival, the sergeant said to the troops
"Right lads ;half of the women here have VD, and half of the women have TB."
He then looked at Chubby and said, "So, private Brown ; what will you be doing?"

"F#####g the ones that are coughing, Sarge!"

:ROFLMAO:

What utter nonsense!
It hardly deserves a sensible response, just ridicule.
If all of UK's cases were imported, that would mean that all the 'imported cases' (all 282,000 of them) were immediately quarantined on arrival (or they suddenly developed a R rate of 0), and no cases were transmitted to the rest of the population. Meanwhile the R rate in the rest of the world varies.
But any lockdown in UK was completely unnecessary because UK had a R rate of 0, according to you.
Also, all the deaths due to Covid were of people who had recently arrived in UK. Quite how they escaped from the care homes, went for a jolly abroad, and sneaked back in, no-one knows.
origin

If you read up on Sweden, the jury is out on whether their strategy was best or not. It really depends how long CoViD is going to be around. If this is going to be here for a few years then we will likely consider their strategy to be the best.
If no immunity is gained by being infected and recovered, herd immunity is impossible to attain. And as someone recently said, if no immunity can be gained, then no vaccine is possible. So again herd immunity is not achievable.
Thus, if no herd immunity is achievable, it matters not how long Covid is around

In essence, Sweden's strategy is based on the, as yet unproven, hope that some immunity is gained, and that it lasts for some considerable time.

Last edited:
Of course, but there are several factors.
- how popular your country is for international travel
- when you actually knew there was a problem.

It is now believed we had Covid infections here in December.
You do come out with some spurious explanations.
upload_2020-6-5_13-42-2.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Sponsored Links
Back