Toilet bowl height and bore hole in wall issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've gutted my house and had the soil pipe rerouted from the inside of the house to the outside. My plumber drilled a bore hole and relocated the soil pipe, it's now exiting into the sewers from a hole in the bathroom wall where I'm planning to plumb in a new toilet.

The plumber said he was allowing for 20mm floor height (subfloor, underfloor heating and tiling) but I've measured the hole and it's 130mm to 240mm above joist height whereas the toilet I bought has the waste outlet 140mm-230mm from the base. Has my plumber messed up or is there a way to make this work?

Sponsored Links
You can get an offset connector so you should be able to rotate it to take up the position you need.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all! Is this the kind of offset connector I need? Any brand recommendations or are the all pretty much the same?

Screenshot_20220925-105234.png

20mm allowance is nowhere near enough I'm afraid.

Floorboard/P5 Chipboard - 22mm to minimise deflection
levelling ply top layer for UFH/Tiling - 5mm at a min - preferable 9mm
UFH electric mat? - at least 3mm - mat installation method dependent
Adhesive - at least 5mm on top of UFH and tile size dependent
Tile width - ~10mm

That all equates to at least 45mm - Make up some packing with wood to the minimum height required and sit that on the joists, place toilet on top and then check what pan connector may make the connections.

20mm allowance is nowhere near enough I'm afraid.

Floorboard/P5 Chipboard - 22mm to minimise deflection
levelling ply top layer for UFH/Tiling - 5mm at a min - preferable 9mm
UFH electric mat? - at least 3mm - mat installation method dependent
Adhesive - at least 5mm on top of UFH and tile size dependent
Tile width - ~10mm

That all equates to at least 45mm - Make up some packing with wood to the minimum height required and sit that on the joists, place toilet on top and then check what pan connector may make the connections.
Thanks - I've bought 18mm ply and was planning to use that for the subfloor. So there's the mat and adhesive/screed over and then the tiles. Does the ply sound like an acceptable subfloor and couldn't I just do the whole floor and then fit the toilet bowl? Worst case I guess I flog it on eBay and buy a different make (unless the all have the hole at the same height..)

Thanks - I've bought 18mm ply and was planning to use that for the subfloor. So there's the mat and adhesive/screed over and then the tiles. Does the ply sound like an acceptable subfloor and couldn't I just do the whole floor and then fit the toilet bowl?
Really comes down to the span/thickness and centre distances of the joists TBH .... ideally though I would always recommend 22mm and use hardwood/WBP. The alternative is no more ply, which is an excellent alternative but @ 18mm can be expensive. The trick here is to minimise deflection, deflection means movement in the final floor covering, if that's tiles then that's not wanted.

Yes ... ^^ what he said ... Toilet goes onto final floor

Really comes down to the span/thickness and centre distances of the joists TBH .... ideally though I would always recommend 22mm and use hardwood/WBP. The alternative is no more ply, which is an excellent alternative but @ 18mm can be expensive. The trick here is to minimise deflection, deflection means movement in the final floor covering, if that's tiles then that's not wanted.

Yes ... ^^ what he said ... Toilet goes onto final floor
This is what I bought, it's WBP hardwood ply but 18 rather than 22mm. https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/18mm...de-wbp-plywood-b-bb-2440mm-x-1220mm-8ft-x-4ft

I think the joists are about 300mm spaced and 50mm thick, I can check when I'm next at the house. Is that good?!

If your joists are @ 300mm centres then 18mm should be fine but best to check (not the gap between them, rather centre of one joist to the centre of the next) ... check how deep they are too, not just the width.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back