Toilet leak

rvp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I'd throw this out there as I'm a bit stumped.

I have installed a back to wall toilet including a concealed cistern and I am getting a small leak from somewhere but no idea where!

I have looked and can't see anything thats leaking and to me it seems an odd place to be leaking from really.

Here's a pic where it is. It is the right hand side - tissue slightly darker

20181009_224317.jpg

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
This type of leak occurs when you flush the toilet. Tightening the toilet tee bolts and replacing the wax ring are two ways that this problem can be fixed. Before you head down this path, make sure that the leak is coming from the base. Other parts of the toilet may be leaking and creating water on the floor.

Cheers for the reply Nora jhon although I am struggling with what you have posted there! Plumbers speak I take it!!

What/where are the toilet tee bolts? Wax ring? Whats that!

I have a rubber washer that goes into the toilet attached to the flush pipe, do you mean that? That is brand new and seems ok to me.

It is a strange one as I can't see where the leaks coming from.

I have checked the coupling nut/washer into the cistern thats fine and also the flush pipe seems ok too.

It is very small the leak it must be said.

Sponsored Links
Rvp ,as i told ian in his thread ,i have never seen condensation inside a wc pan. I have seen countless times ....
Condensation on supply pipe ,and on cisterns .leaks on the cistern at the fill valve to it and the supply pipe union to the fill valve. Leaks at flush valve to cistern ,flush pipe at both ends and the flush pipe cone into back of wc pan. And then the waste pipe / pan connector. Last, but not least ,wc pan ceramic itself.

Rvp ,as i told ian in his thread ,i have never seen condensation inside a wc pan. I have seen countless times ....
Condensation on supply pipe ,and on cisterns .leaks on the cistern at the fill valve to it and the supply pipe union to the fill valve. Leaks at flush valve to cistern ,flush pipe at both ends and the flush pipe cone into back of wc pan. And then the waste pipe / pan connector. Last, but not least ,wc pan ceramic itself.

Cheers terryplumb

This is the one I fear and it's been months since I got the pan so returning it will be an issue no doubt If it is a faulty pan.

You should rule out the other possibles and secure evidence of the pan fault. If its faulty its not fit for purpose and their liability is indefensible.

You should rule out the other possibles and secure evidence of the pan fault. If its faulty its not fit for purpose and their liability is indefensible.

Will do, hard work ruling them out though!

Sure it's not coming from the flush pipe into the pan connection? If the flush pipe isn't straight and sitting into the seal correctly and at the right length, chances are it will weep.

Sure it's not coming from the flush pipe into the pan connection? If the flush pipe isn't straight and sitting into the seal correctly and at the right length, chances are it will weep.

I think it possibly may be that now as I took the pan out and filled it with water and didnt see any leaks in the actual pan.

I will take a look at the flush pipe end where it enters the pan, I don't tgink the rubber washer is the best really that I got with the flush pipe.

Do you know If I could use some silicone in that area or is that considered a bodge?

Another thing I thought of, it leaks even when I don't flush the toilet so would that rule the flush pipe/washer ie no water would be in there.

The seal between flush pipe and the wc pan is called a flush cone. The best ones are black rubber ,the more rigid type are white EVA and are rubbish. Silicone isnt needed. If you have poured water into the pan directly during your test its not conclusive. You would need to pour water in through the inlet at the back ( as it would during flushing) to determine if the wc's internal water pathways are not at fault. Can you post pics of the internal set up ( cistern etc ) with the pan in place ,and without the panel that normally covers it all ( the one that pan backs upto )

The seal between flush pipe and the wc pan is called a flush cone. The best ones are black rubber ,the more rigid type are white EVA and are rubbish. Silicone isnt needed. If you have poured water into the pan directly during your test its not conclusive. You would need to pour water in through the inlet at the back ( as it would during flushing) to determine if the wc's internal water pathways are not at fault. Can you post pics of the internal set up ( cistern etc ) with the pan in place ,and without the panel that normally covers it all ( the one that pan backs upto )

Thanks terryplumb, I will do when I get in, must admit its driving me crackers!

It is a black rubber cone that sits in the pan/on the pipe by the way.

You have probably overlooked / missed something. Its really not complicated ,you just need to be methodical and observant. Its easier than you think to overlook the obvious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back