Toilet not filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our toilet isn't filling, it looks to me like something has broken or come apart but can't work it out.

It's been filling slowly for ages which I assumed meant something had got limescale in it. However there is water flowing in (be it slowly) but seems to be coming out into the bowl at the same rate. Also when I filled the cistern manually nothing seemed to float up as it should do.

I've made a video and would appreciate any advice if this is something straightforward

Sponsored Links
As you have 2 problems (Fill valve & Flush valve) I suggest the easiest course of action is to replace both tbh.

The little white arm swinging freely has a fork on the end which should engage onto the float rod. Its been filling slowly because the diaphragm washer has gone. The make is Siamp and the diaphragms are available at screwfix. The running constantly into the pan may be just a scaled up seal on the base of the flush valve.

As you have 2 problems (Fill valve & Flush valve) I suggest the easiest course of action is to replace both tbh.

Thank you - I'm assuming there's lots of different types? How do I find out which one I need?
The little white arm swinging freely has a fork on the end which should engage onto the float rod. Its been filling slowly because the diaphragm washer has gone. The make is Siamp and the diaphragms are available at screwfix. The running constantly into the pan may be just a scaled up seal on the base of the flush valve.

Thanks so much for your help both!

Sponsored Links

Damn the assembly has been tightened by the previous tenant, presumably some Greek god. Not sure it's going to come off!

They sometimes need gentle persuasion with a pair of grips.

Toilet not filling? There’s a few on here that are full of ****, I’m sure they’ll come round and help you out. :mrgreen:

Thanks all. I changed the diaphragm washer and no joy (old one looked clean).

So next thing is whole inlet valve?

Are these interchangeable? I can't find any siamp ones nearby.

I got my Siamp flush valve from toiletspares.co.uk, next day delivery, I have seen the inlet valve on the site as well, think it comes in 3/8 inch or 1/2 feed

If you're a tenant, then it's up to the landlord to sort out it for you.... I'd be getting onto him.

Thanks all. New fill valve installed, worked a treat. The difficulty was attaching outside the cistern, rather than the flexible hose on all the instruction videos it's a copper one which doesn't quite meet the fill valve in-pipe. This means the joining bolt had to be tightened incredibly tight. Although the new rubber washer leaked so I put the old one back in which was much more substantial and still in decent condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back