Toilet pan connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a toilet due to a cracked cistern. I notice the pan connector appears to be what looks like solvent weld type, correct me if I'm wrong.

Can the same connector be used on the new toilet or is it best to replace the pan connector as I'm not sure I can find another toilet where the outlet is exact same distance from the wall as the existing one.

If it is solvent weld I take it I'll need to cut the soil pipe?

If I should replace the pan connector would you recommend to use the push fit ones or solvent weld again?

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220609_110156_resized.jpg
    20220609_110156_resized.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
Never seen solvent weld pan connectors and I've seen a few. There would be no sensible way to service them and the seals don't last for ever as you can see from yours. Take the pan off and then pull on the connector side to side, you should find it will pull out of the pipe.

Never seen solvent weld pan connectors and I've seen a few. There would be no sensible way to service them and the seals don't last for ever as you can see from yours. Take the pan off and then pull on the connector side to side, you should find it will pull out of the pipe.

I have never seen one either but they do exist.

As Madrab, remove the cistern & then the pan. The long length pipe should come out of the wall if not then shine a light up the pipe to make sure its a push-fit piece - all in-situ fittings to be discarded: dont re-use.

A new WC spigot might be further off the wall, and higher or lower than the existing connector pipe.
But no problem, use an extended pan connector 225mm to pick up any distance, & cut to fit.
There's also adjustable pan conn's or offset pan conn's to pick up height differences.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a Mac dry fit seal, can’t remember who made them (McAlpine or Macdee) and I can’t seem to find any online now, unless I’m thinking cast iron?

Last edited:
Well there you go, every day is a school day.

If it is glued then when they were manufactured you maybe have been able to get a new seal for it, not sure you'd get one now though. If it won't pull apart then measure it, if' it's 110mm/4" then just cut it at the join and a new pan connector should just push into it.

Reactions: CBW
Looks like a Mac dry fit seal, can’t remember who made them (McAlpine or Macdee) and I can’t seem to find any online now, unless I’m thinking cast iron?
Or a Hunter connector from the 70's The sealing rings were sold separately, but new or not they weren't brilliant;)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I wouldn't mess with any of it - at a min I'd cut it flush with the wall and work back from there.

Seen a few pans fitted in and around the 70's era, with that type of white collar glued onto the soil pipe, then a rubber gasket that sits over the 'shoulder' of the collar, into which the pan spigot goes. Fine until you come to want to remove the pan, and find they wont seal again. However, is room permits, a standard finned connector makes a snug seal inside the pipe as the collar fits externally over the soil pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back