Toilet paper won’t flush away ?

It’s not the type/brand of toilet paper used.

I’ve used same basic relatively cheap toilet paper for years, not necessarily the cheapest of the cheap but not the quilted or more expensive either; and on an occasion when I bought Asda own brand recycled paper, same thing happened.

I want my toilet to flush and clear the contents of the pan without the need to stir the paper with a stick or faff around with a loo brush, which I don’t have, it’s bad enough that I’m having to pour a bucket of water down the pan to clear the paper.

The paper may break down once past the U bend and when swirling through the sewer system but it isn’t when sitting in water in the pan.

Also, it’s not one sheet, squeaky clean paper floating in the pan, its paper that’s clearly been used and of an amount that would flush away with ease before the new syphon was fitted.

Once I get home, I will try holding the handle down for a long flush, as I don’t think I do that or even tried it and none of the plumbers have ever mentioned it: if that makes no difference, then I’ll post photos of the Syphon.

Thanks for all the replies, opinions and theories so far.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Once I get home, I will try holding the handle down for a long flush, as I don’t think I do that or even tried it and none of the plumbers have ever mentioned it: if that makes no difference, then I’ll post photos of the Syphon.

Just time how long it takes to refill with handle held down or released, or lift the lid to watch how far the water goes down with the two flushes. I made up a Dymo labels to fit on mine, to remind me and visitors how they work. 'Hold down for short flush'

Long awaited photos.....

Sorry for delay uploading photos, had to deal with health issue concerning my elderly Father, so toilet flushing was the least of my concern.

Also, I tried holding lever down for a long flush but it just flushes the once and does nothing until I release lever and flush again.

The Syphon states: MACDEE METRO 3-PART SYPHON RANGE

330F4596-2D5C-4B7B-93B5-B9B4C988F312.jpeg 5F554ED8-DC64-477F-BFD1-A6CA5954835A.jpeg
0701720E-0F25-4258-8991-AC11B14CCEA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’m not into cisterns like most on this thread:D but it looks like it could do with a bit more water in there for a start.

You can alter this with a flat blade screwdriver on the end of the White plastic spindle that is coming out of the blue plastic nut. This will allow more water into the cistern which will allow a better flush. (Think you turn anti clockwise)

Will it be enough? Who knows, but it’s a free start.

The grey adjustable flush volume (small piece facing the rear of cistern) isn’t in properly, not sure if this is affecting it.

Thanks, it was still filling when I captured photos and will fill up to the water mark of the cistern.

It’s at the level set by the plumber, it also appears to be an historic water level.

Do you means I should adjust it so it fills above the current/historic water level ?

The grey adjustable flush volume (small piece facing the rear of cistern) isn’t in properly, not sure if this is affecting it.

Yeah, I noticed that when taking photos and although it feels loose, that’s as far as it will go in without forcing it.

Yeah, I noticed that when taking photos and although it feels loose, that’s as far as it will go in without forcing it.
Since the syphon is splittable, remove the syphon, push the volume limiter back in and reattach the syphon, give it a flush and see if there’s a difference.

Take the syphon out and see if it set to maximum flush. The grey 'volume limiter could be set to only flush 6 litres'.

Once you have taken it out, lay it on its side and post a picture.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back