toilet talk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a lavatory have a wall mounted switch as opposed to a pullcord type?
The room contains a toilet, wash hand basin and electric water heater (hand washing). All pipes are copper.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
BAS, how can you dispute it?

......dident you notice the fold down bath behind the toilet seat!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If you're going to use a wall-mounted switch it's much better to put it just outside the WC. Well so the kids keep telling me as Dad's quality time is plunged into darkness :LOL:

Bathrooms have special regulations. The regulations apply to places where people get wet all over, like places with a BATH. Sinks do not count unless you are very small.

So normal rules apply to lavatories.

Yup, put a switch there if you wish.

Rooms containting a bath or shower need special guidence, WC's do not.

Its against the regs and highly dangerous.

It's not even against the regs in a bathroom. Just so long as it is in Zone 3. However it is a common belief that it is against regs, so fitting such a lightswitch may be seen as dangerous by a prospective purchaser (I chose to avoid that minefield when I did my bathroom).

Mackerel: Applying the bathroom rules to a toilet, a wall-mounted light switch would have to be a minimum of 60cm from the centreline of the basin top.

See here

It is a good idea to follow that rule. You never know when an overenthusiastic handwasher will splosh gallons of water all over a lightswitch fitted near the sink!

Lectrician said:
Rooms containting a bath or shower need special guidence, WC's do not.
I wonder how big a bidet has to be before it counts as a bath?

any room with a bidet replies special guidance.

What am I saying here? it's getting too late....

A bidet is normaly part of a bathroom suite. Never seen one in a WC cloakroom;)

I did see that once in the "public" toilets in a hotel in Spain, but apart from that you're right.

A few years ago the French were trying to get a bidet made as a legal requirement for new-build bathrooms across the EU... I dunno, they figure out how to replace their hole-in-the-ground toilets with proper ones, and all of a sudden they think they are an authority on bathrooms.

I know bidets are great for girls and for the more devout muslims (they must use water, not toilet paper, for religious reasons). However I am not convinced that bidets are that good an idea. After all, they were introduced in a time when most people wouldn't have bothered with a daily shower or bath. No point in having them now. If I had one, I wouldn't use it.

Would you really want to use a "public" bidet, anyway? :LOL:

AdamW said:
A few years ago the French were trying to get a bidet made as a legal requirement for new-build bathrooms across the EU... I dunno, they figure out how to replace their hole-in-the-ground toilets with proper ones, and all of a sudden they think they are an authority on bathrooms.
I have it on good authority that the position adopted when using a HITG is the best there is. It's a bit awkward if you want to read the paper though. Years ago on holiday with friends in France, one of our party decided he liked them so much that he'd have one at home. We actually got as far as visiting a French builder's yard, and it was only when he realised how big and heavy they are that he abandoned his plans to take one back..

I know bidets are great for girls and for the more devout muslims (they must use water, not toilet paper, for religious reasons). However I am not convinced that bidets are that good an idea.
Not a fan of hot curries, then...

Would you really want to use a "public" bidet, anyway? :LOL:
Believe me - you could have eaten off the floor of the ones in the Ritz in Madrid...

Adam:
I know bidets are great for girls and for the more devout muslims
...and xmas not far away, good for de-frosting turkeys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back