Toilets not flushing well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since we moved into our house a month ago, the 2 upstairs toilets have never really flushed well.

Last week we had a complete block in one which we seemed to clear with a pole for this specific purpose (sorry don't know the technical term). However, it is still not flushing well, with some of the paper often remaining in the pan.

Any suggestions on how to get them flushing better?

Sponsored Links
it may be that the "membrane" in your toilet syphon is punctured, why not get a new one,you could try this one

other suppliers are available

9940_l.jpg

If you look at breezer picture,have you got something like a grommet (blue in the picture) on the side,if so prise it off and adjust it to full flush first then see what happen.Design to save water.

Just a couple of points worth mentioning.
First make sure the cistern has sufficient water in it.
Twisting the handle lifts the piston (which holds the membrane) and starts the syphoning action, sometimes holding the handle down for extra two seconds helps.
You can purchase a new membrane from the likes of B & Q so you don't need to purchase and fit a new syphon. The problem is whether you can remove and replace the old one easily.
If you go for a new syphon there is a two part syphon available as against the one part. (coloured red as against blue as I recall)
With the two part you can remove the top section leaving the bottom section in situ, making it easy to change membranes in future.
I have managed to lower the piston, then remove a split pin and remove piston from connecting rod and replace membrane, but they're not secured by split.
Also make sure you remove old membrane as it can get trapped (if has come away) in the top bend and preventing the flushing action.
When I have removed a syphon and examined the piston and cylinder I find the cylinder slightly distorted and too much clearance making the lifting action rather ineffiecent
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I am on a roll now! I have a similar problem with poor flushing so fitting a new syphon seems to be the answer. The WC is a close coupled unit so how the heck do I remove the old syphon?

TIA

IMG_331_2.jpg

One of these type ? Turn the water off then flush the remaining water out of the cistern.There is a wing nuts on either side which need to be undone(you might have problem if it rusted away,I ended up cutting mine off and renew etc) disconnect water supply then undo the cistern off the wall and prise the cistern off the toilet,remove the rubber seal washer then undo the plastic nut.

Also see this to help you.

With a close coupled toilet to replace the syphon you have to remove the cistern after disconnecting the water supply and overflow.
The cistern will be secured to the wall by a couple of screws and finally you have to undo and remove two nuts underneath, because the cistern is secured to the 'pan' with these. Having removed the cistern you will find a rubber washer like a doughnut which is a seal to prevent any of the flushing water escaping. This washer will more than likely be distorted and you may have to replace it, but don't overtighten the nuts when replacing it.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thanks for the info. Its all as you said with wingnuts underneath etcetc.... when I feel braver I'll have a crack at it. From previous posts Screwfix provide syphons so I'll be getting my cheque book out soon.

As ever, much appreciation for the expert and rapid advice!

Geoff

From what I've seen poor clearing of a pan is due to bad pan design. Everything just goes round and round lazily. Often the larger the wet bit of the pan, the worse because the flow velocity is too low.

If the cistern empties fairly quickly Your problem isn;'t in there.
Occasionally the pan's connection to the waster pipe is restrictive, but then you see the water level rise during the flush so it's obvious.

Usually the only solution is a new pan. Something cheapish and British. The worst I've fitted was a £600 Villeroy and Boch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back