Tom Plum, the wonder plumber from Wigan.....

• Thread starter PrinceofDarkness
  • Start date
Barkie, you may well be a very competent plumbers/gas engineer/whatsit - I don't know, and neither does anyone else on here.

Tom may or may not be all these things too (tho' we do have a better idea, and he's definitely a lot of 'whatsit'), but - something you may wish to bear in mind before your next post - Tom ain't dull.

Sponsored Links
The combination of cheap tools PLUS the use of parts in a way they are not intended to be used, indicates a mentality of "anything to save money". Nothing wrong with saving money, it's the "anything" part that is worrying.

Well, a young kid would learn 100 times more from Tom, than a you son.
You've spent the best part of your very short career with your brush up some old dears flue, you're only a boiler monkey.............. :LOL: :LOL:

once again i think this thread is a case of people hearing but not listening. Yes i am young and i dont doubt tom is old and wise. But to make comments to the effect that i was born with a silver spoon is out of order. I worked very hard for all that i earned and learnt. This was not just off my old man. Like i said im not slating the guy as dull dim not to scratch whatever. I was saying that if you give advice make sure it is correct. Take melting a fitting through a tank? If some one came to put a door handle on a upvc door and said this how we used to do it and heated up a old door handle to push through for a hole. Im quite sure you would not stand for it? Most of what he has on some his vid's you can find in a diy book. Anyways i have said what i have said. If you all still feel need to shot me down so be it. But i know what is and isn't right as i studyed and been tested on the water reg's and others.

Sponsored Links
Awe maaaaaaan. We didn't want to upset you.

Anyways, my 'dull' comment wasn't trying to suggest that you called Tom 'dull' - 'cos I'm pretty sure you didn't - but that he would never post a dull comment.

Anyways, anyways, if a door fitter were to bring out a handle spindle and a blow torch outside my door, he'd be walking away from the job in a very strange fashion. But, as it happens, I have fitted a tank fitting precisely the way Tom showed us. Why? Because, as a qualified Quantum Physicist, I know that the structural integrity of the hole's edge at atomic level is far superior and free of stress points when evenly 'burned' through compared to being subjected to the widely varying percussive effects and random cuts from a partially-worn hole cutter. And I didn't have a hole cutter the correct size on me.

Chill out, man. Tom's tips would only be acted on by a person with a bit of noggin up top.

And they are entertaining. Unlike...

Bengasman. I'd just like to correct your last post.
The choice of plumber/engineer was not mine. If you read the post again, you'll see I clearly stated that it was the wife who called them out. I had told her not to call anyone out as one of my friends is a gas safe registered plumber.
Re the tester in view. Which video have you been watching? I'd like to make my own mind up.
PS, on the subject of cheap... Should I buy the new Panasonic HDTV or should I buy the Sony? Both do exactly the same thing and come with similar specifications and warranties, but one is at least £400 cheaper than the other?
Hmmm decisions, decisions ;) ;) ;) ;)

PS, on the subject of cheap... Should I buy the new Panasonic HDTV or should I buy the Sony? Both do exactly the same thing and come with similar specifications and warranties, but one is at least £400 cheaper than the other?
Hmmm decisions, decisions ;) ;) ;) :wink

:

Backlight, colour & picture technologies

SONY BRAVIA® LCD TVs have unique picture quality thanks to a combination of advanced LCD colour & LED TV backlight technologies and unrivalled picture enhancement features.

LED TV backlights for purer blacks & richer colours
Currently setting the standard in LED backlighting, RGB Dynamic LED backlighting provides you with major viewing benefits. Instead of simple white backlights this technology uses small groups of four coloured LEDs (red, blue and two green) to offer:

Finely tuned, real-life colour delivered to every part of the LCD picture
detailed dark scenes as LEDs can be dimmed or brightened individually
energy savings as LEDs use less energy and space than traditional bulbs
rich colour shades in combination with LIVE COLOUR CREATION, a unique colour technology from Sony

Understand the difference between LED and LCD

Understand the difference between plasma and LCD

Edge LED backlights for ultra-slim TVs By cleverly placing the backlight around the perimeter of the screen, instead of behind the LCD panel as with conventional backlit LCD TVs, a BRAVIA TV such as the ZX1 can be only 9.9mm at its slimmest point. White LEDs placed around the edge of the screen provide light across the entire screen using a special thin diffusion for a stunning uniform colour range.

WCG-CCFL premium backlights for stunning colours
Wide Colour Gamut Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lighting (WCG-CCFL) reproduces a colour spectrum approximately 30% wider than Conventional CCFL backlights. Using special materials to coat the fluorescent bulbs, a much greater overall colour palette is produced; giving you even more stunning colours on screen.

BRAVIA energy saving TVs also include a new HCFL premium backlight which uses even less power to deliver the same amount of light and great picture quality.

Colour technologies for vibrant shades & natural skin tones
LIVE COLOUR and Live Colour Creation are unique technologies from Sony which enhance the colours produced by BRAVIA TVs. With a specially developed algorithm and colour filters they intelligently reproduce and manage colours for more vibrant shades and natural skin tones. Colours are perceived as entirely natural by the human eye.

See home movies & photos in real-life detail
Most TVs are designed with moving images of lower resolution in mind. Use PhotoTV HD and you can display digital pictures to their best effect, bringing out the true colour and contrast of your high-megapixel digital still images. BRAVIA TVs also support x.v.Colour standards so you can watch your Handycam® movies in realistic, life-like colour.

24p True Cinema for movies as the director intended
While TVs operate at 50 frames per second, films are actually shot at 24 frames per second. An unintelligent TV would double the number of frames to render 50 frames per second creating distortion, judder and a reduction in both picture and sound quality. BRAVIA TVs with 24p True Cinema automatically recognise 24p films and reproduce them just as the director intended.

Now, listen gentlemen: I've already pronounced on page two of this - my thread, that this topic is closed for further discussion. I shan't tell you again.

My simple intention here was to make contact with Tomp. I certainly didn't mean it as an invitation for Alpha Males to bicker and compete with each other like a bunch of old women comparing the sizes of their flue gas analyers.

Tomp is truly a sound plumber and a caring man. He has great practical knowledge gained over many hard years, and he's evidently kept abreast of changes in technology over the years - and the need for special analytical tools/instuments - otherwise, he would have 'gone under' long ago.

Above all, Tomp is an entertainer and he has a natural talent for it, but paradoxically, he's such a modest chap and he's forever mocking himself (needlessly in my view). It was never his intention for the series of 'Tom's Tips' videos to be taken so seriously.......

I love that man to bits. Such a shame that he's a Northerner, though but.

This really is the end of this thread, I regret that I didn't make contact with Tompus, but I'm pleased that JJ and Dev's chipped in.

I'm not so pleased that I've attracted the gaze of that deviant, Clintus Maximus Horribulus though. He reminds me of a certain odious little corporal in another place.......

END OF THREAD - REALLY.

Lucia.

Well, a young kid would learn 100 times more from Tom, than a you son.
You've spent the best part of your very short career with your brush up some old dears flue, you're only a boiler monkey.............. :LOL: :LOL:
I recognise that style......... It's BigWaterDrivelSystem, our resident troll!

Quote Agile "a BRAVIA TV such as the ZX1 can be only 9.9mm at its slimmest point.""

Fair enough, but they don't mention the thickest point , do they??? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back