Tomato Paperwork

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
More to the point, why so many here if we are so rich?

There are so many here because of the rich/poor divide, poverty, we all know that. I'm questioning why countries that supposedly are far wealthier, and have a far higher standard of living, also have foodbanks on a similar or even higher level.

Seems a perfectly reasonable question.

Sponsored Links
There are so many here because of the rich/poor divide, poverty, we all know that. I'm questioning why countries that supposedly are far wealthier, and have a far higher standard of living, also have foodbanks on a similar or even higher level.

Seems a perfectly reasonable question.

Tell us about levels of poverty in these nameless similar countries, and how they compare to UK levels.

Sponsored Links
Yes, trade is costlier and more difficult when there are tariff and non-tariff barriers.

Everybody knows that.
Yet my fruit and veg from abroad is cheaper now than it’s ever been. Why is that?

Sorry, but that just isn't true. Average wage rates may be higher in the UK than for the EU as a whole, but that's because the EU has some relatively poor countries, mainly the eastern accession states such as Poland, the Czech Republic, etc. If you look at wages in the UK in comparison to similar northern European economies, say the Netherlands, Germany or Denmark, you'll find two things - that the differential between the lowest paid jobs and the highest paid jobs is less in those countries (basically the lowest paid get paid relatively more) whilst median incomes and standards of living are generally higher. Have you actually looked at wages for your own trade in Germany or the Netherlands? You might be surprised.

Eastern Europe is a different matter. These countries started out after the collapse of the Soviet Union with wrecked economies, very low wages, high unemployment and a low standard of living (sounds a bit like the North East of England in the ⁹late 1970s) - so people went abroad to earn money - just the same as many Brits did 40 to 50 years ago (I know about that, because I was one of them).

So tell me, why is it if things are so much better here that we need so many food banks?

Wages can't go down that far due to legislation, however living standards in the UK have fallen noticeably over the lastc10 years and continue to do so because of a drop in incomes vs. the cost of living

BTW when I worked in Germany, the Netherlamds and Belgium I had higher wages and comparable or in some cases better worker rights than here so I dispute your broad brush statement on that score
And the reason why you left paradise to come to hell is...?
I'm an immigrant and I know many immigrants from all over Europe.
They're here because the conditions in their countries are worse and their tax system is a lot worse than ours.
I could go and live anywhere in Europe now that I'm retired.
Why do you think I'm staying here?
Think about simple things like renewing your passport.
In many EU countries is a mission, takes ages and it's expensive.
Over here is a piece of cake.
Think about buying and selling a car.
In other EU countries you pay £100s to the state if you sell and if you buy and you need a solicitor to change ownership.
Here is a 2 minutes thing on the internet.
Here you can contact your local mp directly, try that in other EU paradise.
Housing? Ask for a council house or housing benefit in EU: they'll give you a kick in the boll@x.
And then, why do you think those spanish tomatoes are so cheap?
Correct! Because they're grown by workers with no rights in almost slavery conditions (if not total slavery).

But you are the one being asked. So why not name them? You must have a list somewhere

Of the list of countries far wealthier and with a far higher standard of living than us that Notch named and listed, France and Germany caught my eye. Germany have about the same number of food banks as UK (although a larger population), France at 130 million meals given out seems the highest but the figures are reported as 'meals' rather than food packages like the UK's 1.6 million.

But that's all irrelevant, my question to Notch was if these countries have far more wealth than us, and a far higher standard of living than us, why is their reliance on food banks the same or higher?

As I said, sounds like a perfectly reasonable question to me, seems to have triggered a few people though.

Yet my fruit and veg from abroad is cheaper now than it’s ever been. Why is that?
Ok, so let's call your bluff shall we...

This will of course require empirical statistics from you...
(that's a big word for you so you'll probably have to look it up ;))

Namely as to why your fruit and veg from 'abroad is now 'cheaper than it's ever been as opposed to everyone else in the UK...

You will of course have to clarify as to what you mean by 'from abroad' (namely telling us the countries you are purchasing from), and how you have calculated your 'fruit and veg cheaper than ever prices' claim with a historical timeline of said prices and quote said prices from multiple retail sources....

It's over to you mottie/motman!

The beeb are blaming morocco for the current shortages when in fact the supermarkets wont pay farmers the price they need to invest in this home grown produce. It then backfires on the supermarkets because of the weather situation in Morocco etc. Brexhit was meant to take bak control and give government discretion state aid but it refuses to help because that interferes with the religion of free market economics. Thatcher has a lot to answer for...

Blup

Ok, so let's call your bluff shall we...

This will of course require empirical statistics from you...
(that's a big word for you so you'll probably have to look it up ;))

Namely as to why your fruit and veg from 'abroad is now 'cheaper than it's ever been as opposed to everyone else in the UK...

You will of course have to clarify as to what you mean by 'from abroad' (namely telling us the countries you are purchasing from), and how you have calculated your 'fruit and veg cheaper than ever prices' claim with a historical timeline of said prices and quote said prices from multiple retail sources....

It's over to you mottie/motman!
cheaper than ever? A lot of it has nearly doubled in price in the last 12 months alone

Of the list of countries far wealthier and with a far higher standard of living than us that Notch named and listed, France and Germany caught my eye. Germany have about the same number of food banks as UK (although a larger population), France at 130 million meals given out seems the highest but the figures are reported as 'meals' rather than food packages like the UK's 1.6 million.

But that's all irrelevant, my question to Notch was if these countries have far more wealth than us, and a far higher standard of living than us, why is their reliance on food banks the same or higher?

As I said, sounds like a perfectly reasonable question to me, seems to have triggered a few people though.

Bet they still got fruit and veg in their foodbanks. Not tinned either.

Thatcher has a lot to answer for...
You ain't going to get much out of that bug eaten b*tch...

Instead you should be asking why her party disciples are following her 'f*ck 'em' mantra as regards those who can't fight back*...

*For now that is ;)

Did I hear France has higher standards of living than uk??? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Speak to any frog and they'll tell you why they're here.

Sponsored Links
Back