Tongue & groove flooring - sanity check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've bought a load of tongue & groove wooden flooring from Homebase. Having got it all out of the packets to mix it up, we've discovered that some of the tongues appear to be backwards.

To illustrate (the dark bit is the tongue)-

Normal:
floor1.gif

Backwards:
floor2.gif

Obviously, these two bits of floor can't fit together.

It would work if we only laid one type per row, but it doesn't seem quite right. I've never seen this kind of thing happen before.

Is this a normal thing to happen, or would we be justified in taking them back and insisting on replacements?

Sponsored Links
What are the sizes of the boards? If short, you could have bought left and right strips for a herringbone pattern

jwilliams said:
We've bought a load of tongue & groove wooden flooring from Homebase. Having got it all out of the packets to mix it up, we've discovered that some of the tongues appear to be backwards.

To illustrate (the dark bit is the tongue)-

Normal:
floor1.gif

Backwards:
floor2.gif

Obviously, these two bits of floor can't fit together.

It would work if we only laid one type per row, but it doesn't seem quite right. I've never seen this kind of thing happen before.

Is this a normal thing to happen, or would we be justified in taking them back and insisting on replacements?

Looking at your illerstrions of the tongue and groove Ican not see anything wrong with it ,and wood suggest turning the boards over and the ones that still do not fit it might help if you turn them over again

WoodYouLike said:
What are the sizes of the boards? If short, you could have bought left and right strips for a herringbone pattern

They're 110cm long - meant to be laid in simple strips.

Sponsored Links
splinter said:
...Ican not see anything wrong with it ,and wood suggest turning the boards over and the ones that still do not fit it might help if you turn them over again

Already thought of that. They're only finished on one side, so you can't simply turn them over.

If you can't see anything wrong with it, try to imagine how you'd fit those two boards in a row. You'll end up with either two tongues together, two grooves together, or a long edge which is half tongue and half groove.

jwilliams said:
WoodYouLike said:

They're 110cm long - meant to be laid in simple strips.
Well, a bit long for a herringbone pattern indeed. Have you contacted Homebase already with your question?

WoodYouLike said:
Well, a bit long for a herringbone pattern indeed. Have you contacted Homebase already with your question?

No, I'm going in there later. As it's a toss-up in there whether you get someone intelligent or gormless, I wanted to check here before I marched in :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back