Too big for 13A circuit, too small for 32A?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect this has a simple answer!
All i've read so far has 32A as the lowest rating for the MCB at the consumer unit in a cooker radial circuit.
I'll be installing a cooker with a max current of 16A according to the specs. Is it okay to put a lower rated MCB on the circuit at the CU, or does this contravene some regulation?
Alternatively, should i connect the oven to the controller unit via a FCU with a suitable fuse?

(question reposted from general DIY where it ended up by mistake the first time - just in case anyone's seen this twice!)

Sponsored Links
if you need 16A a FCU isn't going to be much help. remember they take PLUG FUSES

nothing wrong with using 16A breaker at the CU thought i would advise use of a cooker control unit without socket for such a cuircuit

finally even though you are only using a 16A breakre right now i would still fit 6mm or 10mm cable to allow for fitment of larger electric cookers in future.

Thanks Plugwash,

That did seem to be the most straight forward solution. Clearly i'd not thought the whole FCU bit through! duh

Sponsored Links
Yep I get confused if I move it too fast, especially very fast in tight circles. Try it in a pool you can get a real spin on. Just be careful you can remember where the air is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back