Too many wires in ceiling rose for my new fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I live in a two bed new-build house which I moved into about a year and a half ago (my partner and I's first steps on the property ladder!)
The lighting all around is standard ceiling roses.

I have an LED luminaire I would like to fit in the main bathroom but the rose is very crowded and I cannot (comfortably) fit the common neutrals or the earths into the terminals on the luminaire, which are quite compact terminal blocks.

My initial thoughts were to take the neutrals, earths and common live into a terminal block, then a single wire from the neutral and earth terminal blocks (and of course the switched live) to the smaller terminal block on the light fitting. Unfortunately, there's hardly any space inside the light fitting to do this.

I was wondering if it was acceptable to move most of this to a junction box of some description in the loft and then run just the earth, neutral and switched live down to through to the new luminaire, which would be ideal space-wise.

Assuming the junction box idea is feasible, can anybody link me to a suitable piece of equipment which will allow me to do this in the neatest manner?

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just put them all in a normal junction box and drop a single cable for the fitting.

Depends what you call a normal junction box, if you mean the standard round ones, they would not conform to current regs even if accessable unless you fix them down and secure the cables

It's been a long time since they complied without fixing them down and securing the cables.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=uk+house+wiring+(basics+OR+101)

Sheds, whilst I agree with your sentiments, this has bugged me for a while, so...

Please stop putting "101", it is such an extremely American phrase, it will lead to bad/irrelevant search results for the intended recipient!! There, I said it! :p Don't forget, you despise people who won't take on board any constructive criticism from others!! :whistle:

We'll end up with people using damn 'wire nuts' and 'Romex' in this country!!

Sheds, whilst I agree with your sentiments, this has bugged me for a while, so...

Please stop putting "101", it is such an extremely American phrase, it will lead to bad/irrelevant search results for the intended recipient!!
Except it doesn't.

It is indeed a term of US origin, but its use has become widespread.

There, I said it! :p Don't forget, you despise people who won't take on board any constructive criticism from others!! :whistle:
I viewed it as constructive, which is why I tried "https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=uk+house+wiring+101" on it's own, which is how I know that it works fine.

We'll end up with people using damn 'wire nuts' and 'Romex' in this country!!
They may do the former already, AFAICT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back