Tools for someone new to GAS career....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, :) I'm new here but knew of the existence of this site due to google searches on diy matters in the past. I am now currently studying to be a gas safe engineer, and have made a list of 'gas man' tools, only to be confuddled on what to buy and what brands.

I am going to leave a list here and would appreciate any feedback I can get, thanks. If I have missed any tools off the list, or have added too much, please feel free to educate me. :oops:

One lad at college was saying to buy Aldi tools, as they are good and great price, but I thought I would come here for a more wider spectrum of opinions. Then there are folks saying to avoid places like Screwfix due to crap quality.

I will at some point be interested in the different career paths that are available after acquiring the gas safe card, if I am 'competent' enough of course ;)

Safety wear: goggles, dust mask, knee pads, rubber gloves, workpants? ...

Tools: volt stick (to test continuity bonds?), pipe cutters(22mm? 15mm?), manometer (water one), (digital one?), 10mm continuity bond, extension leads, heat shield, blowtorch(es), u-gauge, wrenches? , spanners? , drills, bolt chisel? pipe benders(machine or spring?)...

Miscellaneous: meter caps, tool box or bag or belt? , flux, metal wool, handpump to put air in system (don't know the term), solder, smoke matches, on/off isolation valve tape? , unsafe appliance tape? , gas leak detector spray, red smoke pellets, hand cleaner, dust sheets, floor sheets?

Digital: smartphone gas apps?

Thanks for looking! ;)

Sponsored Links
If you are not doing a few years learning plumbing and getting at the basic an NVQ3, before you get on the gas, you are going to have a bad time my friend.

You will realise on the first job that you know nothing about plumbing and heating, you won't even be allowed on site as you will be deemed unqualified, it will be the shortest career in history

I feel sorry for people like you getting scammed by these training centers, thinking they are going to have jobs at the end of it. Good luck.

I agree with Gav, it's criminal what these courses don't train the course cowboys and at the end of the day it's simply years before anyone has the skill, knowledge & experience to be employable - regardless of what they tell you on your Mickey Mouse course!!

Tool wise, I have on occasion purchased the odd item from Aldi.
Quickly, I consigned them to the bin marked 'Silverline' :p
Example....a set of three try squares - not one matched any of the others which proved exceptionally useful for marking right angles of 87 degrees.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I totally agree with you about the skills side. I have spent 2 years evenings doing this, and most of it has been theory, hence the drive to get the tools and start working with someone more qualified, will most likely have to be for free too. If anyone has time to have a noob looking over their shoulder in the Manchester area, I would really appreciate it.

Luckily, I didn't sign up with one of these centres. The scouse accent (sorry liverpudlians) and aggressive sales pitch on the phone really put me off. Googled their company name, and realised they took 3-4 grand off folk and then bumped the company, changed the names around and re-opened. People were losing their houses and families due to the contract involved.

My route involves nvq level 3 and acs exams, not sure what you all think of these particular setups...

As someone else advised, You should attempt to get into plumbing at any level.
Or simply start on a building site as a laborer, if you can get a start, and then get in with the plumbers and move sideways. Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.

Do not go buying any tools - buy boots, hat, gloves and helmet and goggles.
Show up at 0730hrs and take the gear and ask for work. keep persisting, dont take no for an answer.

No one expects you to have any tools, that comes later. One hour theory to seven hours practical when you are an apprentice - theory on its own is almost rubbish in the building trades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back