Tools you never knew existed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often think there must be so many tools out there I never heard of, for jobs I didn't even know existed - but that would be really useful TO know about!
We must all be in the same boat to a certain extent so this could be a fun thread?

Just now I came across a "Hookaroon" - a sort of ice-axe looking gadget for picking up and moving around logs without having to grapple with them.

Anyone else want to play?

Sponsored Links
Well, we know this exists but a mystery why it has taken off in the rest of the world but not the UK. I use a grubbing mattock to achieve the same result:

upload_2018-5-24_19-1-46.jpeg
Blup

Nooo, please dont do this!
I will be compelled to get these tools for my toolbox :)

Sponsored Links
Woodslick.jpg
Reamer.jpg
froe.jpg

I recently got a pump action ratchet screwdriver. I only found out it existed because I saw one in Breaking Bad.

I recently got a pump action ratchet screwdriver. I only found out it existed because I saw one in Breaking Bad.
New tool. Only been around about 100 years. Killed-off by cordless tools in the 1990s, really. At one time every joiner had two or three in different sizes (I stiil have mine). Out of interest you were always barred from using them on polished/finished work in case they skipped off the screw head (which they can do) and left a massive scratch across the surface! I don't miss mine at all

OP - the "hookaroon" looks like a variation on a peavey or cant hook - another very old tool

I never claimed these were new tools, in fact that's kind of the point.

Japanese cat's claw- one of my favourite tools- use it for chasing sockets, prying timber apart (without damaging it) and pulling small nails.

110206_xl.jpg

'The Carrot'

Connects the end of a moling hydraulic hose to new water supply pipes so you can pull pipes through the ground.

IMG_8481.JPG

I never claimed these were new tools, in fact that's kind of the point.
You said that you'd found out about them from a TV series. So they were new to you (and you can still buy them, albeit no longer from Stanley). In my trade (joinery) there were lots of tools around which have more or less disappeared because of changing building technology and materials, certainly in my lifetime. For example, how many joiners under the age of about 40 would have a side axe or hatchet (for making "propellor" wedges) in their working kit, or a froe (we used to use them with another tool, a "felloe", to cleave chestnut laths - use on lath and plaster stud walling). Even the use of rods (to transfer measurements back to the workshop) seems to have fallen out of favour

Japanese cat's claw- one of my favourite tools
Now that's a newish tool (in the UK, at least) which is an improvement over using a wood chisel for some tasks

Now that's a newish tool (in the UK, at least) which is an improvement over using a wood chisel for some tasks

Ahh, but you wouldn't use a wood chisel to tidy up chases in render (OK maybe one would) nevertheless though, 8 years down the line and the only damage has been a tiny dent when I went through a twin and earth cable- how was I to know that the cable exited through the top of the back box and then ran back down on the right hand side of the box?).

In all seriousness though, it is an amazing tool. When for, example removing staff beads, unlike a chisel it doesn't leave a big dent and the curve on the end gives you leverage.

The one I linked to is made by Bakuma, Axminster seem to have finally purchased some more. If they are the Bakuma ones I will get another couple of them. Estwing, etc sell very similar ones. I haven't tried them though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back