Tools you never knew existed...

The one I linked to is made by Bakuma, Axminster seem to have finally purchased some more. If they are the Bakuma ones I will get another couple of them. Estwing, etc sell very similar ones. I haven't tried them though.
Like Roger I've got the Estwing - had it about 3 or so years now and it is always in my tool kit. It isn't sharp, but I wouldn't want it to be, and it beats the snot out of Stanley Wonder bars, etc. Last use was popping awkward door seals into a metal framed door casing. Made a PIA job easy

Sponsored Links
I recently got a pump action ratchet screwdriver. I only found out it existed because I saw one in Breaking Bad.

My Grandad had 3 of these in various sizes (in his big leather tool bag), great to look at but next to useless to use!. The had a little slider so you could screw or unscrew, red handles. 2 philips and 1 flat head..

My dad had one of those ratchet screwdrivers, with a red wooden handle iirc........

Here's something I never knew existed....

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-rs400-automatic-rotary-soil-sieve/7330k

Although, £400! I expect someone's made one from an old washing machine, and saved themselves a bundle!

She who must be obeyed and I used to bulk buy and bottle up a dog supplement that contained bone meal back in the day. One day the silly mo that supplied us forgot to mix the ingredients and sent us the ingredients and 25KG of (wet) bone meal. Unfortunately the bone meal contained teeth, hair and other unidentifiable body parts. The Scheppach would have been a godsend.

Had to use one of these (after first drying the bone meal in our oven)...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/apollo-apollo-3-8-mesh-riddle-370mm-370mm/84307

Took ages and stank the house out... Mind you, can't complain 1kg cost us £100 and could be sold for between £300 and £460 (before overheads).

Sponsored Links
I expect someone's made one from an old washing machine, and saved themselves a bundle!

I have very stony soil and looked into buy something rotary (preferably powered) and was put off by the price of Scheppach ones (all that I could see) but whilst looking I came across loads of videos of ones people had made themselves, a quick look found these

also some vibrating, rather than rotary, ones

Well, we know this exists but a mystery why it has taken off in the rest of the world but not the UK. I use a grubbing mattock to achieve the same result:

View attachment 142269
Blup

It's very similar to an adze, in the hands of a skilled worker an adze was a very useful and accurate tool.
Mattocks are still used in the UK.....occasionally !

Does anyone remember these?

s-l1600.jpg

My dad had one of those ratchet screwdrivers, with a red wooden handle iirc........

Here's something I never knew existed....

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-rs400-automatic-rotary-soil-sieve/7330k

Although, £400! I expect someone's made one from an old washing machine, and saved themselves a bundle!

I made one of these! It worked wonderfully but actually digging up soil to load it was more trouble that it was worth.. so I sold it on ebay!

Pics to follow if you're interested. Industrial name is Trommel.

Nozzle

I made one of these! It worked wonderfully but actually digging up soil to load it was more trouble that it was worth.. so I sold it on ebay!

Pics to follow if you're interested. Industrial name is Trommel.

Nozzle
With the cost of disposing of stuff increasing year on year, sieving out the big stuff and reusing the soil is going to become more of an option for the diy'er, I'd expect.

I made a frame with a wire grid set into it, the sat over a wheel barrow. I use the pebbles, stones, and brick bits at the bottom of any trenches or drains I make.

My sub soil here is very clay-ey and so what happens was it just spewed out stones and balls of clay - as would happen with a £400 Scheepish job too. Works very nicely with the more sandy stuff. What it needed was a hopper so it could be loaded from a mini digger, but really that might just crush it..

Nozzle

Moulinex tile grout mixing attachment for drill. Only problem is my wife keeps pinching it to make cakes!

IMG_20180607_085005830.jpg

Japanese cat's claw- one of my favourite tools- use it for chasing sockets, prying timber apart (without damaging it) and pulling small nails.

110206_xl.jpg
I had a Siamese cat's claw once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back