Tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to purchase a pipe bender (fed up with struggling with a spring) is the one from screwfix any good? or is there a better one of similar price available on-line?

Also, I wouldn't mind getting a flaring tool (for joining) any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
ive got one of those silverline pipe benders(£24.95).it was a special offer from the local plumbers merchants(normally £30 summat).its alright for 15mm but struggles a bit with 22mm.i think the roller needs tweeking.other than that it does the job ok.hilmor do one which ive used and they seem fine(£40 odd i think?).i dont know bout rothenberger but expect to pay a little more, although as the saying goes,"you get what you pay for".have a look round mate. ;) also the socket formers are in the screwfix catalogue(monument).

ALL pipe benders are awful in my opinion! I've used Hilmor, Monument, Record, Rothenberger. I think I dislike the Record one least, its handles are at least straight. The Roth one splits its rubber caps the very first time you put a handle end on the floor and it's harder to get the pipe out once you've bent it, and its wobbly from day 1.

Sponsored Links
I bought a Hilmor recently from my local merchants. £40 incl VAT. Works absolutely fine with both 15mm and 22mm pipe. No complaints at all.

ChrisR said:
ALL pipe benders are awful in my opinion! I've used Hilmor, Monument, Record, Rothenberger. I think I dislike the Record one least, its handles are at least straight. The Roth one splits its rubber caps the very first time you put a handle end on the floor and it's harder to get pipe out once you've bent it, and its wobbly fromthe day 1.

could always buy a bag of sand then :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
sorted your clock yet ChrisR??

p.s never eat yellow snow :!: :)

kevplumb said:
sand you are showing your age havent done that for at least 20 yr :LOL:

you could also bend it like the old "BULLWORKER" : :LOL: :LOL: AAAG GA GA GA GA GA :LOL:

Apart from the rough way they're all made, the design is pathetic - they're all the same. You can't set a stop for instance to do several identical bends or a right angle. And if you have to bend 22mm on a cold day, especially the not-quite-so-soft cheap pipe, a lot of users would say the handles are too short. An unfolding bit wouldn't take much to add., nor would keepers for the aluminium formers - which needn't be separate anyway.

Plenty of other things they could do too.

I'd willingly pay £200 for a bender which did what I wanted. I mean we pay a couple of thou to get the kit to make holes in walls, by the time you add all the bits up - 24v sds, mains sds, diamond dril & cores, right angle doobries etc.

ChrisR said:
right angle doobries etc.
I havent heard that since my father became my late father.

Havent got a couple of spare ones have you?

tottally agree i'm sick of the apprentice losing formers
(and they aint cheap) formers not apprentices
and the handles aint to short we are getting past it :LOL:

ChrisR said:
Apart from the rough way they're all made, the design is pathetic - they're all the same. You can't set a stop for instance to do several identical bends or a right angle. And if you have to bend 22mm on a cold day, especially the not-quite-so-soft cheap pipe, a lot of users would say the handles are too short. An unfolding bit wouldn't take much to add., nor would keepers for the aluminium formers - which needn't be separate anyway.

Plenty of other things they could do too.

I'd willingly pay £200 for a bender which did what I wanted. I mean we pay a couple of thou to get the kit to make holes in walls, by the time you add all the bits up - 24v sds, mains sds, diamond dril & cores, right angle doobries etc.

Maybe you could see it as an opportunity to design some good pipe benders. Make yourself a fortune and retire. :)

And who said screwfix are any cop, they don''t even stock right handed doobries, amateurs!

ChrisR said:
You can't set a stop for instance to do several identical bends or a right angle.

The Hilmor has some markings on the bending wheel thingy which show 30deg, 45 deg, and 90 deg. Not like a stop, I know, but better than FA.

I noticed the Rothenberger flaring tool is capable of doing both 15 & 22 mm pipe. The monument tools one do one size. I have not used one yet but I might ask for one as a christmas present. :p

I recently bought a Silverline bender from Toolstation for £27. It is crap. It takes a stupid amount of effort bend 22mm copper which gets squashed. The 15mm is a bit better but you get quite bad throating.

What is the most common method for bending pipe?

Also if a spring is used, should heat be applied to the pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back