Tools

Griggsy said:
What is the most common method for bending pipe?

Also if a spring is used, should heat be applied to the pipe?

Buy a decent pipebender. I have a Rothenburger and am quite satisfied with it. :D
You do not need to heat the pipe when using a spring. :eek:

Sponsored Links
BAHCO said:
You do not need to heat the pipe when using a spring.
What about 22mm pipe, not sure if my knee can take much more of it :cry:

if the apprentice keeps losing the formers, use his fingers in its place, he wont do it too often then! :LOL:

it works :LOL:

Sponsored Links
handyman said:
The Hilmor has some markings on the bending wheel thingy which show 30deg, 45 deg, and 90 deg. Not like a stop, I know, but better than FA.

The marks are just marks and mean just about FA, the bit that holds the start of the pipe doesn't even hold it so it starts in the right place to use the marks..

I recently bought a Silverline bender from Toolstation for £27. It is rubbish. It takes a stupid amount of effort bend 22mm copper which gets squashed. The 15mm is a bit better but you get quite bad throating.

youll have to heat the pipe up first if you want to bend 22mm.heat until sort of cherry red then quench under water or leave it to cool on its own then mark out and atempt your bend.as has been mentioned in previous posts you could try a butchers at this: [/url]www.thecopperclub.co.uk

Chris mentioned cheap-and-nasty tube....
I've done a couple of bends recently where the pipe 'corrugated' on the inside of the bend for no obvious reason. Didn't think I was that clumsy... Anyone else noticed the same?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back