Top step in the stairs making a loud,woody noise when stepped on it!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My apologies for being ignorant about stairs and how to repair them.
I have a carpeted set of steps leading to the bedrooms in the house (15 year old).Since yesterday,everytime someone is coming down the stairs, the very first step makes a louder,woody noise. What does it mean and what kind of problems should I be aware of.Can I leave it out for the next few weeks or does it need to be sorted out quickly? Is it something I can possibly do(I am not good but not bad either at DIY) or should I be calling someone to sort it out? Any help welcome indeed. :) Megan

Sponsored Links
If you could see behind the stairs Megan, you'd find the treads and risers would be wedged tightly in place in their grooves - or at least they should be.
If the wedges fall out due to age or whatever, the treads etc become loose. However, they can't fall out so I wouldn't panic about it!
John :)

If you could see behind the stairs Megan, you'd find the treads and risers would be wedged tightly in place in their grooves - or at least they should be.
If the wedges fall out due to age or whatever, the treads etc become loose. However, they can't fall out so I wouldn't panic about it!

Thanks John :) That's a relief. But it does mean I need to get someone to look at it I guess. Hmmm. Anyway Merry Chistmas to you!

Sponsored Links
One sort of fix is to remove the carpet, and fix the offending tread to the riser below it using some fairly hefty screws - 3 or 4 would do.
Presumably getting behind the stairs is a no - no?
Happy Xmas to you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back