Torx: how big do they go ?

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi

I want to buy a set of Torx female-sockets but have hit the unusual problem that I don't know what size set to look for.

Searching the usual channels has thrown up sets to E 44 or 45 and asking friends has confirmed that E 45 bits are only about 7 mm across points: are Torx actually only made up to this size and then it reverts to hex mm heads ? If not, where should I look for a comprehensive set ?

Am buying to use on my 2006 Vectra.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Yes, because the "male" Torx-bits are usually fixed in individual sockets and referred to as sockets, so it seems, at least on the Net, as if "female sockets" is the preferred terminology to avoid confusion when you want something to undo a Torx-headed-stud.

Ah. I don't think I've seen what you describe. I got a set of Torx and Allen bits to fit in a 3/8" socket drive, but they had "male" protruding keys to fit socket-headed bolts.

mDrdY07O7DWN4kx5DxmlWfQ.jpg

I was told that you only needed Torx in the smaller sizes as it was difficult to make an Allen key that would give a good drive.

Sponsored Links
Ford in the past have used these on Cylinder head bolts. We reffered to them at the time as "Multi Splined". They were about 15-16mm in diameter and were regarded as a special for that purpose.
To leave it more difficult/expensive to carryout repairs is the only reason manufacturers use different heads.

Far better spending your money on an X-Box, at least you would be in, out of the cold

https://www.google.ie/search?q=mult...aNJGwhAeI9oDIAw&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=604

that set would cover most vx sizes.
think thats what i have used through the previous year mk2 astra head the right through to current

Back