trainee plumber! please read.

Bamber gaspipe said:

You are a good , decent guy, & all these guys including myself have been where you are now. Unfortunately, you believe as I did that this job was the key to riches, you will never work harder or longer for the kind of money that you will expect to enjoy.

Where has the OP mentioned money, in any form, except for the word "free"?

Forget an 8 hour day, you will live & breathe regulations,plumbing & Gas forever. For what you earn will never be enough for the graft that you will have to put in.

A bit presumtious.

It is not a job that anyone can do. You will have to be diplomatic, cheerful, well turned out, disciplined dedicated & determined, ....

Applies to MANY occupations, what's the big deal?

........& that may get you a job with a decent engineer. It`s a hard game, & every engineer I have ever met has been a big moaning tart, & every job is a `Nightmare` (true).

That may be your view as a big moaning tart, or did you think the description doesn't apply to you?

But if you ever make it to be a good fitter/ engineer you will enjoy the benefits of a good career, but you will always graft harder than you have ever done before.(as an installer, breakdown guys are poof`s). ;)

Anyone can work as hard (or as smart) as they want, there's no compulsion, and hard work is not a prescription for a good income.

Sponsored Links
Big moaning tart includes myself ( I love a good moan) & every job I do is a `nightmare`. Don`t see the point in your post Oilman, other than to denigrate what was only to try & give a little insight into the trade. If you have a valid & constructive point to add, make it. If you don`t have anything helpful to add I suggest you don`t post. I notice you haven`t commented on anyone else`s posts on subject.

Big moaning tart includes myself ( I love a good moan) & every job I do is a `nightmare`.

Something's wrong then. Either you pick all the wrong jobs, or your abilities are inadequate for the task.

Don`t see the point in your post Oilman, other than to denigrate what was only to try & give a little insight into the trade........

I cannot see where it has given any insight into the trade any more than the astrology column in a newspaper gives any insight into the future.

............you have a valid & constructive point to add, make it.

Bamber gaspipe said:
Agile said:
My last proper trainee was not that good at fixing boilers but he was magnificant at dealing with customers.

If I had a minor accident and dirty water had spilled on the floor, he would apologise to the customer and explain that we had it in hand and were working to sort it out.

Tony

Right pompous little toad aren`t you Tony? would love to speak to the gas fitter you trained under. I hear you boast about private schooling yet you struggle to form a coherent sentence, then other times you tell of when you left school at fourteen to follow an apprenticeship, hardly private tuition...you have to have a good memory to be a good liar, as my old Dad used to say, & he should know.. he was a Lawyer ;)

Exactly what was constructive here?

If you don`t have anything helpful to add I suggest you don`t post.

you are a mind reader too, I was thinking exactly the same. :rolleyes:

Back to the point of the thread, seeing the lads asked for advice and not the post to be hi-jacked with in-squabbling.

I run a landscaping company but heres a few things i look for or avoid when employing people.

Try spending a day or two going around the various plumbers offices if they have them as well as phoning up. Make sure you look presentable and talk clearly and confidently. After all your representing them when you go into a clients house. It shows youre willing to make the effort and get off your backside. I get lots of calls and badly written letters/e-mails which just go straight in the bin.

Youre obviously keen to learn, so keep youre eyes and ears open and dont be afraid to ask questions. Try to anticipate what they will need next when you work with them so its there ready for them. Dont ask a question when someones concentrating on the hard bit.

Be polite and always ask if you need a break/toilet etc. Leave your phone at home or turned off. Always be on time and be willing to do whats asked, weve all had to start somewhere. Shagging, drinking and late nights are for the weekend, thats why we have one. Work and lack of sleep/hangovers dont mix!

Learn what a broom is for and how to use it! Youll be surprised how many people cant, and at the end of the day if someones already started clearing up so as soon as the job is finished you can go its appreciated. Put stuff back in the van neatly and clean!

good luck

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
................... Put stuff back in the van neatly and clean!

good luck

I knew I was not doing something. Doh!!
:(

? why worry so much about working for someone

put an add in the local papers and do what you know you can do . if you get work you cant do then phone a company up to get a price then get them to do it with you helping

there are a lot of jobs out there that are very easy to do plumbing wise so jump in and get your feet wet ( not litterally )

some would have you believe that you need 5 years training to do some jobs :LOL:

Slogger said:
? why worry so much about working for someone

put an add in the local papers and do what you know you can do . if you get work you cant do then phone a company up to get a price then get them to do it with you helping

there are a lot of jobs out there that are very easy to do plumbing wise so jump in and get your feet wet ( not litterally )

some would have you believe that you need 5 years training to do some jobs :LOL:

Wow!!! I agree with slogger, doesn't happen often :D

MOD 2

i am locking this thread as it is far to polite ;)

I cought a labourour sawing a floorboard to size across the joists upstairs, realising that the end of the saw would most likely end up breaking through the ceiling I was about to open my mouth, but then I noticed he was actually standing either side of the joists on the ceiling. That was his last day.

stockport lad eh ....

I used have a big bathroom refit biz in Manchester til I sold , I would advice you get the yellow pages then go through it an find what part of plumbing you like doing, Jobbing work , central heating installs , bathroom refits ,etc an contact the firms that interest you , then send a nice written letter explaining what you have done here ,
you sound like a nice bloke , the best advice has been given by the old plumbers above ,
My Top Tip
I can only say when you start earning , invest in to let property as soon as you are able around the old sink estate areas ,
that is your early retirement investment cos when your knees get knackered an its no fun going to work any more then you need an exit strategy .....

You`re right about the knees :evil: ..they`re the first to go ..........sink estates :LOL: :LOL: none here in Sussex M8 moz.lol........you`re looking @ the £140k flat near Crawley :rolleyes: ........My old dad was painting them in the 60`s -got us out of a council house too.....that was the "Lump" for you ;)

Back to the point of the thread, seeing the lads asked for advice and not the post to be hi-jacked with in-squabbling.

I run a landscaping company but heres a few things i look for or avoid when employing people.

Try spending a day or two going around the various plumbers offices if they have them as well as phoning up. Make sure you look presentable and talk clearly and confidently. After all your representing them when you go into a clients house. It shows youre willing to make the effort and get off your backside. I get lots of calls and badly written letters/e-mails which just go straight in the bin.

Youre obviously keen to learn, so keep youre eyes and ears open and dont be afraid to ask questions. Try to anticipate what they will need next when you work with them so its there ready for them. Dont ask a question when someones concentrating on the hard bit.

Be polite and always ask if you need a break/toilet etc. Leave your phone at home or turned off. Always be on time and be willing to do whats asked, weve all had to start somewhere. s****g, drinking and late nights are for the weekend, thats why we have one. Work and lack of sleep/hangovers dont mix!

Learn what a broom is for and how to use it! Youll be surprised how many people cant, and at the end of the day if someones already started clearing up so as soon as the job is finished you can go its appreciated. Put stuff back in the van neatly and clean!

good luck

Well...a little tough but needed discipline!!!

WoW, never even noticed the date,knew i never recognised the thread,

wondered where Moz had been,(big clue for me) but what good read though.

EDIT; Have things changed in the last 4 years since this thread started?.Workwise, unemployed, better work around, harder too find, less pay, more pay?, Has it changed in general?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back