Training advice

You said that you had been installing boilers for years and then went on a Potterton basic combi course. So clearly you had considerable experience before you started going on manufacturers courses.

What I was trying to do was to warn new people that they need to learn the basics of boilers first otherwise they will not get the most out of the manufacturers courses. They are designed for people wanting to learn the specifics on their models.

I have not met anyone who has been on the Bedford course but I would expect that its probably not bad for someone with limited experience. There was a combi course at a local college near Manchester which was said to be very good.

Sponsored Links
you are right mate, but I had sod all experiance in fault finding, am sure the original poster is doing the same?, But i had safety all covered ACOPS ACS etc, so what more experiance do you actually need?

I learnt early on that as long as you are aware of the sequences you can, with a bit of common, fault find.

Must say though I have had about enough of the little yapping dog humping me leg every five minutes so do you self a favour ****** to corgi bung bathrooms in :LOL: :cry: :LOL:

Well I've just pulled up a can of Foster's and opened a chair to read all of my replies. Didn't expect to see so many...thanks to all who bothered. So it looks like it's the manufacturers courses for me and give Bedford a miss. Being corgi everyone automatically assumes that you can repair any gas appliance under the sun. I screen my calls the best I can and only attend boilers where people know the score regards my limited abilities. No fix no fee. Last year sister in law paid £40 to a bloke who couldn't fix her boiler. (100 miles away so I wasn't rushing out to help). Anyhow I digress. I plumb mainly, bath suites and stuff but the back is starting to groan a bit now. Getting a WB28 CDi into a loft by myself earlier this year didn't help much either. I just think that if I could move down this path, not only is it another string to my bow, but my aching joints would probably not scrape together in delight. Thanks again all.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought before this topic vanishes into the ether. Any good books out there? I've seen some of the Viper books advertised. Just wondering if they're any good.

The gas in the Falklands is bottled LPG so we assume that he is registered to work on that.

The Viper books are pretty good generally.

As far as repairing combis is concerned, I saw the book for about £26 which a client had bought to see if it would help him fix his boiler. While test runing his boiler after my repair, I had a look at it.

Although rather over priced I thought that it was pretty good for explaining how combis worked. Where it was not so good was that it did not seem to go that one step further and explain how to logically fault find. That does need a logical mind however.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
Where it was not so good was that it did not seem to go that one step further and explain how to logically fault find. That does need a logical mind however.

Tony Glazier

or manufacturer's instructions of course ;) , the vast majority now contain functional flow diagrams. Basic skills and common sense will see you through 99% of faults, and those 2 plus patience will see you through intermittents and the rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back