Training

Lets assume that you took an accountancy degree. Accountants are enjoying a boom time again and at one firm I know they pay their staff £3000 if they introduce a new employee. Most accountants start at £35k immediately they qualify and quickly reach £50k within five years.

Would you not be better training as an accountant and doing plumbing as a hobby?

Alternatively do part time paid book keeping so you can get free plumbing experience.

If you must get paid then all you will get is repetitive CH installation work where you will learn very little as the firm has to get a financial benefit from your employment. Thats obvious to an accounts graduate.

Any quality work experience will be unpaid and will be with someone who is an expert and covering a wide range of different work.

I met a top chef who had 11 in his kitchen on £5 per hour. He said none were there for the wage but just to learn the trade from him. Diners in his restaurant paid £125 each for their meals!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Robster_1981 said:
When i said learn, i meant pick up hands on experience.

This may take many years it depends on your abilities

Robster_1981 said:
I'm just making a valid point that if a labourer can get £6.50/hr, and i will be doing the same (ok, at first i'll be a bit slow).

No you won't be any where near as good a s a labourer at labouring. They do that job their whole life you would be worth about a 5th of a labourorer if that. When we have some heavy labour work to do we get a proper labourer in for the day he does in a day what we could do in a day with a jcb.

Robster_1981 said:
just for the record, i've been to uni and done 3 years working as an Assistant Accountant, but got more and more sick of it. Plumbing is not a get out clause. it's something i've wanted to do for years, but because i wasn't bad academically, i was persuaded that was the better route.

I part qualified as an accountant many years ago that drove me to be a despatch rider in London for many years before I near killed myself and trained as a nurse, the stress of that job and perhaps the dirty sea water I windsurfed in gave me M.E. but the main symptoms were pshychological I couldn't handle the stress of nursing any longer. So I do know where you are coming from, but I have gone where you want to go, from this side of things it lkooks a heck of a lot different to how it looks to you right now.

Robster_1981 said:
If i could afford to work for nothing to get the trade, i gladly would, but unfortunately, i cant

Oh but you must, there is no free lunch, have you had insuficient life experience to realise that yet? I worked for free to gain the required experience and paid £3,500 for my extra ACS training which at that time was called category III training. I was one of the last able to do that. Don't forget loss of earnings for about 6 months aswell as having to find that money, and after two years off long term sick with M.E. it costs us a house. No pain, no gain.

But the biggest defecit you face is skill with your hands. When I came out qualified I was hopeless, my first combi swap (which my boss and I did in about 6 hrs at that time) took me and a labourer 3 days. Now with the additional difficulties imposed upon us by the government it's hard to find a boiler job that takes a day, most are two day jobs many are three days, but the rates haven't gone up over what my boss got for 6 hrs work back when I was looking at this trade through rose coloured spectacles.

Trust me you are not worth £6 per hour, actually you are going to cost money, but if you do get someone to give you the free experience you need, whatever you do don't ask "what are we doing now" every time you get in the van. Actually say nothing is best policy, especially have no voice when customers are around, they will happily talk to you while your boss unloads his heavy tools from the van. Your job is not to entertain customers, your job is to carry heavy tools. Don't smoke.

You can pick up skill with your hands on your own doing some work for yourself, like fitting laminated floors or tiling or doing cheap bathrooms.

It is a very tough life ours, you have to be imensely skilled and adept with your hands and have to have an amaising mind to think through all the variables of the job today and dovetailing it into the way the previous job you are altering was done yester year. The job you think you want to do is nothing like you think it is, after you've been struggling to earn a take home pay less than minimum wage for a couple of years you will see my point. Don't dismiss my post as negative and trying to put you off. This is probably the worst trade and the worst time to enter it. Not the least because of the totally wrong public perception of us.

I think the greates perceptual floor someone like you has is that anyone can do it. The job requires a huge amount of skill and special kind of strength and tenacity which very few people posess. That is why they fail, so have to call us. We make it look easy. Never underestimate the skill any tradesman posesses, but he has gathered it over many years. He is probably not worth minimum wage as a labourer to anyone for the first 5 years.

Agile said:
I met a top chef who had 11 in his kitchen on £5 per hour. He said none were there for the wage but just to learn the trade from him. Diners in his restaurant paid £125 each for their meals!
...which was nice. ;)

patrick_nice.jpg

Marvellous post from Paul Barker BTW.

Well said Paul !

But you forgot to mention that there are highly trained East European plumbers with 10-15 years experience who are happy to work in the UK for £5 per hour with a further 100,000 waiting for a bus to bring them here.

Tony

Sponsored Links
One thing No-one`s mentioned ,..........LOCATION :eek: IF like me you`re a country boy and live in the stix...........you will stay poor ........the "prosperous" SE is a myth...the only contractors making money work for local councils and are large-ish companies . You need a City ....and I don`t mean Brighton+ Hove :rolleyes: ........then you need CORGI and then learn how to fix all the different boilers with their computerised workings ...........the old school plumbing has been torn apart by various other trades and all that`s left is the scraps that retired guys do for a bit of beer money ;) and finally you need to SELL your services to a public who now delight in haggling, watching rogue traders etc. :evil:

I think i've stepped on a few peoples toes here, and i apologise if i have offended anyone!
Paul Barker - I had a good read of your post, and i am grateful for your detailed reply. i have taken it all on board and it has opened my eyes somewhat to what i have ahead of me.
From here i think i have three options:

1 - Try to get a proper apprenticeship and take on some kind of secondary work to make up my wages, and do it the 'proper' way
2 - Advertise my services as an 'odd job man', there are people that do it to good avail, but i'm sure there are many others that make no money!
3 - Find another career! and as i despised Finance to the point of depression, I am completely stumped as for what i can do next!

Agile - Unfortunately, i worked in Management Accounts, so i am not legally able to 'do people's books'. You have to have been working in a practice environment and quite like plumbing, you have to serve your time to a certain extent and is a long time before you can command the money you speak of, and if i was to go into practice in my current situation, i would be the equivalent of a tea boy for a couple of years at least.

Like i said at the beginning, i'm not setting out to tred on anyone's toes, or devaulue anybody. I'm just trying to get myself a career i can stay in for life and be comfortable with

Yes basically Tony saw your accounting the same way you see our work.

When you are self employed you are only going to earn money on results. To achieve geting off the bread line you have to gain a lot of skill/ability and knowledge and put in loads of time, work long and hard. You will also have to finance many overheads.

You could certainly go option 2 odd job man, see how good your hands are. You'll find it quite hard to get up to minimum wage when you rely on your own abilities, but you need this sort of shock treatment to find out how good you really are. The tradesmen who make a small fortune can work fast and cleverly, the guys banging heating in in two days work extremely hard it would take a novice two weeks to do what they do in two days. It takes me four days.

^^^^^
Much appreciation for your detailed replies!
It has taken me a long time to pluck up the courage to even consider going into people's homes to work, but i plan on fitting it in around my current job to begin with until i have the confidence and more importantly enough work to go part time at work, or maybe even jack it in completely.

I only intend on tackling small jobs like leaking sinks/baths etc and maybe fitting new bathrooms if i can get that sort of work.

yet again, i appreciate your comments :!:

what took me one day three years ago , now takes me two to three days , with little difference in price.wouldnt recommend for anyone to get into this trade at the moment.

Must say Paul well done what a great reply

I agree fitz but its pretty hard being or starting anything at the mo

WOOOHOOO he is gone this year YAY

When I was an apprentice (yes I am that old :( ) I got paid a pittance and got to do all the luvverly jobs

its just the way it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back