Translating squiggles

So why the argument?
...because anyone hearing a Arabic speaker saying it for the first time would not think "That is Qur'an" it is silly.

You say either ( ˈī-thər ), I say either (ˈē-thər).
I am correct; you are wrong.
As I've explained to Gerry, if I were to spell it for the first time, as the first person to attempt a spelling I would use "Coor'aan".

You may be right, but are you respectful? I may be wrong but am I disrespectful?
We may disagree on foreign pronunciation but I rather think that respect is far more important.
After all, the rules of English grammar hardly apply to foreign words pronounced or spelt in English. (I notice that "spelt" annoys the spell-checker.)

Sponsored Links
Further research provides:
Qur'an or Quran is the spelling that Muslims use, and that all the best publishers use.
http://www.mohammedamin.com/Community_issues/Koran-or-Quran.html
That's just an account of what has happened. It does not make it sensible.
But you wouldn't spell "Bible" as "Bibel" just to be different.
I don't use Koran just to be different when Muslims use Qur'an.

I also notices this bit in the recent link:
Accordingly, when Arabic text is presented to English speaking readers, most of the Arabic text will be translated into English, while some words, such as personal names, are transliterated as opposed to being translated.
Transliteration is the conversion of a text from one script to another. For instance, a Latin transliteration of the Greek phrase "Ελληνική Δημοκρατία", usually translated as 'Hellenic Republic', is "Ellēnikḗ Dēmokratía".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration

a Latin transliteration of the Greek phrase "Ελληνική Δημοκρατία", usually translated as 'Hellenic Republic', is "Ellēnikḗ Dēmokratía".
PRECISELY

Do you use ""Ellēnikḗ Dēmokratía"" to be respectful?

Sponsored Links
One of my brother in laws' claims that the word "watch" should be spelt as it's pronounced ,,,, "woch" (yep he's a fookin idiot)

Back