Treading carefully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work for a major organization, in a small office block, with lots of people of varying cultures and races. Some people moan more than I do, but get a load of this E-mail we got today from one of the "Building" managers.

Could you please take care when on the stairs there have been a few instances of staff losing their footing when walking up the stairs. This appears to be due to the smooth surface of the metal strip on each step. Rather than stepping on the edge of the step, please ensure you full foot is place on the step to try and prevent any reoccurrence or potential injury.

We will continue to monitor this potential problem with the strips and would ask you to please report any near misses or falls to enable us to monitor this effectively.

There are now dozens of people on the top floor not knowing how to get down, the instruction for that hasn't been given.

Sponsored Links
planenut said:
There are now dozens of people on the top floor not knowing how to get down, the instruction for that hasn't been given.
Is sliding down the handrail allow ? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
A Lift ? my god man, we've only just been taught to use the stairs!

They ain't out of the woods !!
If you should slip in say 2 weeks time .. pretty well due to the step edge, you can sue their as ses ... Why ? Because they knew about the problem and did naff all about putting it right ASAP ... The note only serves to prove their culpability.

May think that is a joke. I worked in major engineering, there was one particular .. noisy area .. lots of notices about using ear defenders etc etc ..... But, proveably, nothing more than that was done .. ideas were floated and dismissed.
That area was in constant use by machinists for 20 yrs ... any one of them with 5yrs or more exposure were found to have hearing probs due to noise (company medical) ... Sued the company ... who thought they were home free, notices, attempts at resolution etc ... Not so, even in appeal no chance .. nothing done to cure known problem .. bingo lots of £k's paid out !! ...

P

planenut said:
please ensure you full foot is place on the step to try and prevent any reoccurrence or potential injury.

This seems absurd. Go to your stairs right now, and try to place your full foot on a step. There is only one way. Sideways. Now, try to walk upstairs in this manner. Either like a crab, or by pointing your feet out like a ballet dancer.

My feet are large but not huge (size 11), yet in bare feet, with my toes pressed firmly against the riser to the next step, my whole heel hangs off the back of the step. I reckon anyone above a size 6 or 7 would not be able to accomplish this feat (:cool: feat, feet, geddit?)

By the way, if you fall and break your neck doing this I am not to blame! :LOL:

I want to visit plane's work now, and witness people climbing stairs like crabs and toddlers :LOL:

This is so obvious to me now that this is only the instruction for going upstairs, try that going down.

It really highlights the way its all going with the blame and claim culture.

Damned if you do,damned if you don't. Some off these problems would be comical if they weren't serious.

I agree, the company in trying to cover themselves, have probably left themselves wide open. Made worse because some wide guy will take advantage.

I see no problem with compensation for an accident where fault is proven ... Especially when someone is going about legitimate employment, I am sure there are people going off to work each day and either not returning - ever - or eventually returning incapacitated ... A sobering thought when you glance at your own family.
There is always a price to pay.... sooner or later.
:cry:

Just a little footnote,
You're employer hasn't thought off renewing these metal strips then.Tight a**e that he is .If someone fell down these steps he deserves every compensation claim that lands on his desk :evil:

I did send a reply to the manager's e-mail which included the "hope" that when they replace the treads, they will fix the atrium exit that's been out of use for fourteen months and the fire exit that we cannot use at all.

I thought the "footnote" was very well placed.

if a dedicated fire exit is not working / available for use, you can refuse to work in that area under health and safety grounds. it wouldn't go down too well with insurance, firebrigade (who do checks) or the HSE

I did send a reply to the manager's e-mail which included the "hope" that when they replace the treads, they will fix the atrium exit that's been out of use for fourteen months and the fire exit that we cannot use at all.

I thought the "footnote" was very well placed

There goes any hope of promtion ;)

Sponsored Links
Back