A few "is this likely" questions for a new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Apologies for this being such a magnitude of questions in one go, but I have the potential to move pretty quickly with a new house, as a house to live in only for our family, not as a rent etc.

The house we are thinking of buying has lots of drive space and garden space, and whilst the move isn't completely sold based on future potential, it is my initial vision that over 10 years or so to adapt/extend the house. With this in mind, could I please have some opinions on the following please? I would seek the correct legal/professional advice if it all went through, but as a rough idea as this may potentially influence some part of a buying decision.

Here is a photo of the front and back to show perspective:

Front
9486_3653540_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Back
9486_3653540_IMG_20_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Idea 1) Extension on the side of the house. I think its likely this would get PP due to the new passed laws about if your neighbour has one then you are pretty much allowed the same as they did, in basics. The neighbours have similar so would assume this would be OK, providing footings etc were suitable for more than a single height extension(was a garage, now an office).

Idea 2) A full width conservatory or extension. I assume a conservatory would likely get permission over an extension, plus big cost savings, but does anyone care to comment on the likelihood of an entire width(single story) extension?

Idea 3) I've always wanted to do this, and now this may be the time, build a detatched single story room (which is basically going to be a gym) in the back of the garden, not massively overlooked, and if it was, could do it at a lower level with steps down to it?

Idea 4) Double garage on the drive, it's a big drive, plenty of space, not overlooked from the neighbours on the right of the house(looking at it) but the house to the left is on another road but their back windows would see it, so it may be stopped for this reason. Options could be to lower it down again? not really sure..

As said, some of these are pipe dreams and could be 10-20 year projects, but I was just wondering and seeing if I could get any initial feedback please? Or anything you would/wouldnt do?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Have you taken a look at the Planning Portal's interactive guides to Permitted Development and Planning?

due to the new passed laws about if your neighbour has one then you are pretty much allowed the same as they did

No such law exists. Sounds more like urban myth.

You should check if the house benefits from full permitted development rights. If so 2 and 3 could be done under PD. The side extension (I assume you mean two storey extension) would need planning but has every chance. The double garage also needs planning but is the least likely - but not impossible. As above, no such law exists.

Sponsored Links
due to the new passed laws about if your neighbour has one then you are pretty much allowed the same as they did

No such law exists. Sounds more like urban myth.

This is part of a proposal by The Chancellor in the latest budget but, AFAIK, the proposal will only apply in LONDON. To quote The BBC site;

Another change would see ministers seek to scrap the need for planning permission in London for developers who want to extend buildings to the height of neighbouring properties, which they say will "add dynamism" to house building in the capital

Hi there,

Idea 1) Extension on the side of the house. I think its likely this would get PP due to the new passed laws about if your neighbour has one then you are pretty much allowed the same as they did, in basics.

Depends on the whims of the planning department. There are no precedents in planning, though the "other houses on the street have it" occasionally works. The other application was assessed by a planning officer or committee and found to meet the planning policy rules in force at the time. The problem with you coming along later is that both planning policy and planning officers can change, so you dont get a guarantee of consistent treatment.

It doesn't look like there is any space to extend this house sideways, by the way

Idea 2) A full width conservatory or extension. I assume a conservatory would likely get permission over an extension, plus big cost savings, but does anyone care to comment on the likelihood of an entire width(single story) extension?
A conservatory is an extension. Under permitted development you'd be allowed a full width conservatory up to 8 metres deep subject to neighbour agreement. Might want to wait a while to give yourself a chance to get on with the neighbours first - moving in and firing in an NCS app for a massive conservatory might pull at the "don't like change" strings of neighbours. This is an emotional consideration rather than a planning one - but you do have to live there and it's easier to do it if you get on with those around

Idea 3) I've always wanted to do this, and now this may be the time, build a detatched single story room (which is basically going to be a gym) in the back of the garden, not massively overlooked, and if it was, could do it at a lower level with steps down to it?
Shouldn't be a problem to do it under pemrmitted evelopment - the area around your house is considerable - thanks to the front drive you could cover the back with sheds if you wanted

Idea 4) Double garage on the drive, it's a big drive, plenty of space, not overlooked from the neighbours on the right of the house(looking at it) but the house to the left is on another road but their back windows would see it, so it may be stopped for this reason.

Lower might be a pain in the ass for drainage. The big problem with this is that it's building in front of the "building line" - the front wall of every house on the street. Planning required, expect an uphill struggle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back