Treating tanalised fence posts? Yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've got a lot of fencing to undertake and want to make sure it's as best provisioned as can be.

I've got most things taken care of, and plan on fitting all posts with a PostSaver wrap.

I also wondered if it's worth fully treating the posts top to bottom with something beforehand also?

Or is the PostSaver going to do most of the job protecting against anything affecting longevity?

I also don't want to over think it and end up adding anything which might trap or absorb anything unwanted!

Many thanks for any input or suggestions you might have. I am good to go once I've decided on this issue!

UC3 Green Treated Softwood posts for reference

All the best,

Sponsored Links
You could add liquid rubber. Brush on.
Masking tape around to give a clean line.

The rot is due to moisture soaking in from the ground. The rot occurs worst at the boundary with dry wood near the highest point the water reaches, where there is the perfect combination of air and water. This is why fence posts break off just above the ground.

If you can encapsulate the lower part of the post to prevent water getting in from ground contact and rain splash, I suppose rot will be slower. It is no good sealing the part above the ground if water can enter from beneath.

I've had enough of rotten wooden posts, and I now only put concrete in the ground. Either concrete posts, or concrete spurs with wooden posts bolted to them that are not in contact with the ground.

Also put a cap on the top to prevent rain soaking into the end.

The rot is due to moisture soaking in from the ground. The rot occurs worst at the boundary with dry wood near the highest point the water reaches, where there is the perfect combination of air and water. This is why fence posts break off just above the ground.

If you can encapsulate the lower part of the post to prevent water getting in from ground contact and rain splash, I suppose rot will be slower. It is no good sealing the part above the ground if water can enter from beneath.

I've had enough of rotten wooden posts, and I now only put concrete in the ground. Either concrete posts, or concrete spurs with wooden posts bolted to them that are not in contact with the ground.

Also put a cap on the top to prevent rain soaking into the end.

Thanks for the insights! I figured that might be the situation but just wanted to do a bit of a research to make sure. The PostSavers alone should take care of preventing the preventable in that case then, I won't waste time or money on anything superfluous! Will make sure to cap them too. Just wanted to do the best I can to prevent any undue premature failures, the posts are rated for 10 years as is so anything more I can eek out past that will be welcomed.

Many thanks for your opinion!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is there an exact description of how the post is rated at 10y? If it's 10y when in contact with the ground then you will be able to exceed that when bolted to a concrete spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back