1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to treat wooden shed/gate/fencing?

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by SRJDIY, 24 Aug 2021.

1. SRJDIY

SRJDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all just a quick question for you. I'm a first time homeowner and I've noticed that the wooden items in my garden (fencing, shed, double gates in the driveway) look worn down and in a couple of places have a little bit of light green mossy stuff on.

I know none of it has been treated for a few years, and I want to treat it to prevent anything from rotting and requiring replacement. What would you say is the best substance for this, and is there anything to it other than 'apply with paintbrush; wait to dry'?

I'm in new territory here, so any advice is appreciated! ;)

2. ktuludays

ktuludays

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can get clear preserver.

If you want a colour try cuprinol ducksback.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. Jabbanut

Jabbanut

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. IT Minion

IT Minion

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wood preservative slows or stops rotting. It's very important for any Wood that is in contact with the ground or that gets wet a lot.

Wood stains or paints help stop damage from UV light and water which helps prevent some growth. They may or may not include preservatives. The darker the shade the more the stain absorbs UV light, clear finishes don't provide much UV protection.

My personal opinion is that vertical faces don't need preservatives often but stains are a good idea to prolong their lives. Paints are too high maintenance for me.