Trianco coal boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Trianco TRG45 gravity feed boiler. Its been working fine but now goes out regularly!!! It does not boost back up to full burning from slumber.
If the boiler has been on slumber due to the water being at temperature when a call for heat is made the burn will not boost up again.
A few shakes of the ash mover reveals glowing coal which it i put a few sticks will reignite the boiler to normal working.
The chimney and all flue including the second air feed have been cleaned. I use prebagged coal so even tried some older bags from a different delivery.
Any ideas what is the problem?

Sponsored Links
Check all the moving parts and free them up may seem daft but coal works its way into every nook and cranny. Bob

Have you cleaned the Fan and throat.
Is the heat leak rad working.
Check F E tank water level.
Check draught stab is not stuck open.
Are flue ways clear.??
Also make sure the fuel regulator plate has not dropped.

Hi all, thanks for the replies, boiler taken to bits to clean, including the secondary air vent at rear, fan removed and cleaned. Regulator plate got a jubilee clip on it to stop that moving. Heat leak is red hot when boiler working properly. Cleaned airway with soot breaker.
Burn was on its last legs this morning so after a few shakes of ash remover saw a glow of red burn. Put in a few sticks and up it boosts. Back to normal working.
Once it clicks off after reaching temperature it turns the fan off. This is the problem when the temperature drops and the fan kicks back in the fire will not build up to the required heat burn .
Just clean the throat flap because I noticed that it becomes tighter when the heat is on due to expansion. Fingers crossed.
Going through coal bags looking at different serial /batch number to try and rule out coal quality.
Watch this space!!!

Sponsored Links
Anthracite, grains.
This morning good news is the boiler working as normal. So I've put a bag of coal in from the batch that I was having problems with. If its out in morning it will point a finger at a bad load of coal.

I would agree !!
BTW you are supposed to turn stat up and boost fire before De clinkering.

Tip. Before boosting fire, inspect the front of firebed from ashpit door to check for fuel bridging caused by incorrect fuel regulator setting.

Last edited:
When i have the problem in a morning the water is cold so I no their is a problem. When I get to the boiler the fan is running so I open ash pan door and its dead. Two shakes on declinker and you get the fire bed to the front but just glowing, its not boosting up at a full burn. Pop 2 sticks in and away it goes!!
Seems like the coal just needs a little help. Lol

Reading through the thread I notice you mention bringing the firebed forward.
The correct firebed position is just in front of the secondary air duct below the flueways and fan throat.
The fuel should be completely burned before the front of the fire grate.
Try raising the fuel regulator plate to increase the flow.
What is the jubilee clip doing. ( Corroded peg in Hopper ) ???

Incidently what is your method of lighting it from cold ??

Jubilee clip is to stop the throat in place on the peg. It the past the plate as dropped, this makes sure this can't happen.
Fire lights and sticks to light , no problem. Been using this boiler over 5 years, just started getting problems. Can only put it down to a bad load of coal at this moment.

Sorted!!!! After reading all the helpful replies to my problem I thought I must be missing something but I had covered everything.
I decided to start again and found the fan had vibrated lose and come adrift so the airflow was not as should be. Put back in place and all seems good.
Thanks for all your help

In post 4 You said that you had removed and cleaned fan.

You obviously didn't refit the fooker !!;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back