trianco contractor combi 110 oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys,

hoping that someone could point me in the right direction.

i have the above boiler and need to find out if it has the correct nozzle installed..

info on the plate on the boiler:-
firing rate - 0.92 imp g/h 69 ml/min
nozzle 1.1us gal/h 60s danfoss

info on the nozzle fitted:-
danfoss
60es
1.80kg/h

is the 60s and es the spray pattern and type and the 0.60 & 1.1 the output of oil to set the flame size and therefore power output?

so what should i have?

thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
The nozzle, as stated on the boiler info plate, is Danfoss 1.1 / 60 S
which means the nozzle will pass 1.1 us gall / hr with a spray angle of 60 degrees - S means a Solid spray cone.
This nozzle is available from heating-parts, part no. 352913.
John :)

thanks john...!!

what symptoms would i be getting with the nozzle i have fitted?

this nozzzle was fitted as supplied from new and the boiler has never run right.

keeps sooting up, lock outs etc.

the last engineer said it was the wrong nozzle and was melting the inside of the boiler.. :eek:

btw whats the differance between a ES ans a S?

Most burners can be set up, by the installer, to give the desired output for the appliance - between the design parameters, of course!
This is done by either adjusting the nozzle size slightly, or more usually adjusting the oil pump pressure. Naturally the air door setting will be adjusted too.
Now, the awkward bit.....burners can only be set up by using the correct pressure gauge and flue gas analysis gear...typically this will be a CO2 reading of about 11% to 12% and an oil pressure of between 7.5 and 10 bar. This cannot be guessed - any visible smoke from the flue will mean that the settings are much further out than you would expect.
If your burner is overfiring the flame may impinge on the back of the heat exchanger causing local boiling and overheating, and you don't want that....
Nozzles come in various sizes and spray angles (as you are fully aware) and the letters after them indicate the spray cone produced by the nozzle.
For example, H indicates Hollow cone, EH means Extra Hollow cone, S is solid cone, SS is semi solid cone, W is universal - the list goes on. So, an ES is a solid cone, with evenly atomised oil droplets, usually spraying between 30 and 80 degrees with a delivery range of between .40 and 1.75 GPH of kerosene.
You'll find that a solid cone nozzle will come in a tube with a green cap, whereas hollow cone nozzles come with a red cap.
I'm not in a place to advise you what affect this nozzle is having on your boiler, but before experimenting I would make certain that all soot and other deposits are cleaned away. Pressure gauges are cheap enough (around £30), but gas analysis gear runs into the £ hundreds.....!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Quote "what symptoms would i be getting with the nozzle i have fitted?"

lower flue gas temperture & consequently a more efficient boiler - if the boiler is providing enough heat / heating your home from from cold in a reasonable time - then leave this size nozzle in.

quote "this nozzzle was fitted as supplied from new and the boiler has never run right.

keeps sooting up, lock outs etc."

nozzles should be changed regularly - once a year - a lot of fuel passes through them during the course of a year - they are a high precision delicate component, take one to pieces & you will see the tiny channels in the difuser behind the orifice.

quote "the last engineer said it was the wrong nozzle and was melting the inside of the boiler.. "

Why didn't the engineer do something about it then? If it's the bafffles "melting" / distorting then heat isn't getting away from the combustion chamber; either a. baffles are incorrectly fitted. b. baffles as designed are too restrictive. c. the burner is being over fired caused by the pump pressure being too high. Fitting a 1.1 nozzle would make the problem worse.

Quote "btw whats the differance between a ES ans a S?"

The "E" prefix designates a nozzle designed for kerosene 28 second viscosity. Nozzles without the E prefix are designed for gasoil/diesel 35 second viscosity. We are a bit unusual in the uk using keroscene other countries use gasoil. E prefixed nozzles were introduced iirc about 10 years ago. A nozzle prefixed with one letter such as "S" has been designed for and calibrated for use with gasoil; using it for kerescene which has a lower viscosity will result in a greater fuel input than stated on the nozzle - so for example a 1.1 gal designated nozzle used with kero would pass perhaps 1.2 gals.

appologies for the lengthly explanation!

another thought - if the flue is one of their balanced flues with a triangular piece in the end,retained by two screws - try the boiler with this piece removed to seee what happens - that would relieve back pressure a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back