Triangle troubles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey gang,

Now, this one's straight from the annals of 'Real Estate Twilight Zone'.

I've just bought a triangular plot of land (I know, I know...I'm hip to be square, but I went triangle!). The catch?

The planning department has granted permission for construction only on the hypotenuse!

Now, here's the riddle: If my triangle is a right-angled one with sides measuring 3, 4, and 5 units (you remember Pythagoras, right?), and the planning department won’t let me build any part of my house beyond the hypotenuse, how on earth do I maximise my floor space? I don't want to live in a one-dimensional home!

Answers on a postcard, please. Or just below this post. Either works.

Sponsored Links
Build a four storey house. More sensibly, find out how every other corner plat in the land manages it.

A plan/sketch would help.

I was going to jokingly suggest a Klein bottle house...

1685305297301.png

But it turns out there already is one! :)

Sponsored Links
I don't understand. Is the hypotenuse not simply the longest side of the triangle? So if planning want the building to start there (?) you simply then build into the remaining space of the triangle, no?

I don't understand. Is the hypotenuse not simply the longest side of the triangle? So if planning want the building to start there (?) you simply then build into the remaining space of the triangle, no?

Regardless of the plot shape, I doubt you'd be able to build beyond any of its boundaries (hypotenuse, or otherwise).

Probably a wind -up?

Back