Tring to replace the shelving slats in airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I originally planned to buy new slats and replace with the old ones. But then I found a lazy, cheats alternative. It's the retractable ones that are available pretty much everywhere. There're more than adequate. My problem is that I have a row of pipes on one side of the cupboard and I'm struggling to find any that take pipes into account. I know it's probably not DIY in the true sense of the word, but I'm in the process of redecorating the house so am keen to use any time and effort saving options.

Sponsored Links
I'd just have replaced the slats. They are often just simple stuff like 2 x 1 or 3 x 1 PSE softwood cut to length and nailed or screwed in place

To get around the pipe problem you could nail/screw a short length to the existing supports across the face of the pipes and cut the new slats to length.

Our airing cupboard came with just one shelf level, way up at the top, with the cylinder, pump and 3-port at the bottom. I added three more shelves, at various heights, but made them so they could just be cleared and lifted out, for maintenance and repair purposes. Basically, timber fixed along the sides, with the multiple shelf timbers fixed to a cloth tape, to maintain the gaps, so they can slide out of the way or be lifted out as a bundle.

Sponsored Links
When I made my slatted shelves in the airing cupboard, I just used battens on the side walls and then battens across. On the side with all the pipes, I screwed the battens between the pipes and then screwed another batten on to them and another batten across the whole lot. Three battens on one side. It works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back