Triton shower replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If im replacing an old 7kw Triton electric shower(15 yrs old) with a 7.5kw will I have to get an electrian to replace the cable?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If im replacing an old 7kw Triton electric shower(15 yrs old) with a 7.5kw will I have to get an electrian to replace the cable?
Thanks

15 years is good value for money.

Cable change will depend on what you have in now. Normally a 6mm T&E cable would be sufficient for this size shower but you would need to look at the manufacturers instructions because that will give the MCB size and tell you that you must also fit an RCD when fitting the new shower.

If you don't have the shower then you can download the MI at the Triton website.

In summary if you have 6mm T&E the correct size MCB and RCD protection then you do not need an electrician.

Thanks

15 years is good value for money.

Cable change will depend on what you have in now. Normally a 6mm T&E cable would be sufficient for this size shower but you would need to look at the manufacturers instructions because that will give the MCB size and tell you that you must also fit an RCD when fitting the new shower.

If you don't have the shower then you can download the MI at the Triton website.

In summary if you have 6mm T&E the correct size MCB and RCD protection then you do not need an electrician.

Ok thankyou, I will check the consumer unit tomorrow, How do you tell the cable size? Is it literally measure it width ways? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok thankyou, I will check the consumer unit tomorrow, How do you tell the cable size? Is it literally measure it width ways? Thanks

This website gives the nominal width but that is an approximation
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA6G.html

Compare it with the 4mm here
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA4G.html[/QUOTE]

I have checked it out, there is a 30Amp seperate fuse for the shower and the diameter of the cable id 14 x 4mm - Im guessing this could be 6mm2?
But no RCD or MCB, I will download the instructions for the new 7.5 KW - any thoughts?

7.5kW will provide you with a warm-ish dribble on cold days :(
Yea but will I need to get an electrian to install an MCB? All that is there is a 30AMP seperate fused wire?

I would suggest that you get an electrician in for 2 reasons.

Firstly, you will need to increase the size of the fuse (MCB) to 40Amps and provide the additional protection of an RCD. The electrician could probably fit a Shower Consumer unit next to your fuse box that would cover both the MCB and RCD. They are similar to this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42858...sumer-Unit;jsessionid=2YL4LEP4X3NL0CSTHZOCFFY
Secondly, the work proposed is notifiable (to the Local Authoritiy buiilding Control) and if you were to do it yourself you will be looking at between £150/200 for this priviliage alone. Just make sure the electrician is registered with the competent persons scheme.

And get three quotations!

I would also suggest that you get an 8.5kw shower it will only cost you a few quid more and give you a bit more warm water than a 7.5.

I would suggest she gets a 10.8kw shower personally :LOL:

Though nothing compares to a power (pumped hot and cold feed) shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back