True story

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quoted for a flat roof replacement 2 wks ago and told client it would need scaffolding.

2 days later he phones saying Im too expensive and a chap in the local rag is offering 50% off so i m going with him unless you beat his price. i said i could not.

Phone rang this morning same bloke in a panic.... can i come around straight away and the job was mine. I asked why he said the blokes taken off his roof put some sheeting on it which has blown away and told him he couldnt do anymore for 3 weeks,and now all the rain has been pouring into his house and he needs it sorting,

I asked had he put up any scaffolding,no was the reply so i told him he would have to look elsewere.

I know this sounds bad but i actually thought serves you right :p

Sponsored Links
If it seems to good to be true it usually is, I gave a price to do a periodic inspection report on an electrical installation with a veiw to price for upgrading the installation to current standards, the fella sent me a letter telling me that they had found someone who would do the report for FREE. Yes, people are driving around and doing a days work for nothing it would seem!!!!! Some people are idiots. :rolleyes:

John, they call this work a 'loss leader', meaning that someone goes round and test all their electrics for free. Then sends them a quote to put any work right. (With an added extra for their first visit)

A lot of drainage companies do it with CCTV surveys, then give them a price for repairing their drainage system.

Andy

Sponsored Links
people are driving around and doing a days work for nothing it would seem!!!!! Some people are idiots. :rolleyes:

in a later post you say you know what a loss leader is, but here you are saying they are idiots, but who has the work?

it is entirely up to them to sort out their business strategy, as it is your right to sort yours, so we all need to just get on with our own thing. If the customer thinks they are getting something for nothing it is they who are the idiots.

Did you advisee the customer of this when they told you that you had lost the work, i would have and also asked them would they consider doing a days work for free, and if not surely they must realise they will pay for it somewhere.

Serves them right if they get stung for loads of extras

sorry it wasnt clear, i was suggesting the customer was an idiot for thinking that people were doing work for free. the guy thought I was ripping him off for doing a report for money, I wouldn't have worked for him anyway. I get the benefit to be choosy being self employed.

John, they call this work a 'lost leader', meaning that someone goes round and test all their electrics for free. Then sends them a quote to put any work right. (With an added extra for their first visit)

A lot of drainage companies do it with CCTV surveys, then give them a price for repairing their drainage system.

Andy

actually they call it a Loss leader

Back