Trunking entry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to poke a hole in the back of an existing socket box and use this to feed a FCU.
Once the cable goes through this hole and into the room behind it, it will travel upwards (in trucking) and then terminate into the FCU.

q. when I poke a hole through the wall, it is likely to be messy and wont be covered by the width of trunking. Should a different fitting be used on this entry and then merge into the trunking heading upwards?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Maybe use the FCU in a surface box to hide the hole and then run the cable ( protected by the FCU ) in trunking upward to a socket or other suitable outlet.

Maybe use the FCU in a surface box to hide the hole and then run the cable ( protected by the FCU ) in trunking upward to a socket or other suitable outlet.
I wanted to situate the FCU closer to the Shelly device that it will be feeding. Also the entry point will be at the bottom of the wall (cupboard actually) and it will be difficult to use the FCU. Another reason that I prefer the FCU to be further up.

q. when I poke a hole through the wall, it is likely to be messy and wont be covered by the width of trunking.
Dont see why that will be a problem.
Drill a very small hole through the wall first, through the back of the existing box through the wall behand. Then go into the room behind and drill back. Then you wont get break out.
If you can tolerate a great strip of trunking running up the wall, the finish isn't going to matter that much.....:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
If you can tolerate a great strip of trunking running up the wall, the finish isn't going to matter that much.
It's in a cupboard but I would like to have it looking today.
I thought that the breakout would be unavoidable as I am drilling the back of the metal socket box and didn't want the incoming drill to go astray - if I follow your suggestion of drilling from the other side after drilling a small hole.

If it’s going in a cupboard, inside the cupboard, fit a 1 gang patress that has holes for mini trunking. Screwfix sell them. Part # 33772
CAD85530-E3A0-4BC4-8AB3-C4B8AF49523D.jpeg

pop a blank plate on the front, then you have a nice entry for your trunking and the monster hole you created will be covered up.

Then go into the room behind and drill back.

Do NOT drill beyond the thickness of the wall. Doing that could chew up cables.

When the pilot hole has been drilled measure how long it is. ( use a bit of stiff wire through the hiole )

On the large drill wrap sticky tape that distance from the tip as a marker to tell you when to stop drilling.

Do NOT drill beyond the thickness of the wall. Doing that could chew up cables.

When the pilot hole has been drilled measure how long it is. ( use a bit of stiff wire through the hiole )

On the large drill wrap sticky tape that distance from the tip as a marker to tell you when to stop drilling.

The way I would do it but I would be to knock half an inch of the depth before drilling from the new room and then go back to the cabled side and, holding the cables out the way, drill from there to meet up with the main hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back