Advise on SY termination (Stage Lights)

Sponsored Links
No, nothing at all - I wonder if they know. I can't see any reason why it doesn't comply.

Is it just there way of saying it cant be used in fixed installs as a way of omitting rcd protection like Bs8436 cable

Sponsored Links
I don't know.

But it would only be if it were used like that that it would not comply. I wonder how many makers of twin & earth cable say that it is not suitable for fixed wiring applications requiring compliance with the requirements set out in BS7671 because there are some circumstances where it wouldn't comply?

Not correct, T&E is adequately acceptable for such purposes, in fact I have a school job lined up for the Christmas break which has been spec'd as 1.5 T&E in cable basket. This is for 15A sockets on dimmer packs with 13A C type MCB's.
What I stated is correct.

T&E in non-domestic applications is, frankly, crap. Where high fault currents exist, it may also be completely unsuitable.

Any good school spec is for galvanised trunking/conduit with LS0H singles (6491B). T&E in schools is complete rubbish and should never be specified that way.

Have you verified that the 1mm^2 cpc will be adequately protected by your C curve circuit breakers?

What I stated is correct.

T&E in non-domestic applications is, frankly, crap. Where high fault currents exist, it may also be completely unsuitable.

Any good school spec is for galvanised trunking/conduit with LS0H singles (6491B). T&E in schools is complete rubbish and should never be specified that way.

Have you verified that the 1mm^2 cpc will be adequately protected by your C curve circuit breakers?

I have only ever seen T+E in a private school !
More accurately:

T&E in non-domestic applications is, frankly, crap.
When poorly installed by idiots :D and for the wrong application (n)

DS

I have only ever seen T+E in a private school !

DS
I assume from that statement you have only ever worked in one school and that was a private school.
I don't think it's an understatement to say that I've identified T&E every one of the 20 or so schools I've worked in. The days of steel tube is no longer the norm.
T&E and for that matter SY and LSOF flex has become very commonplace in plastic trunking, tray or basket in schools and other commercial buildings. I can't say I like it but that's the way it seems to be now.
The new school building I'm working in next month is all T&E in surface mounted plastic tube verticals to the ceiling void then basket.
In a nutshell No!
It has been specified in great detail by an Electrical Consultant.
The main contractor has accepted that specification and passed it on to the subcontractor.
All testing and certification is being done by main contractor.
The subcontractor has raised many questions to the consultant and main contractor, prior to quoting, about the installation methods including cable type. The paper and email trail is a record of all points raised.
I'm just the subby to the subcontractor, in this instance I am forced to accept that the calculations have been done and are correct.
It's 1.5mm², if I wrote 1mm² it's my error.

Just had a glance at the drawings, it looks like the runs are only around 10m max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back