Advise on SY termination (Stage Lights)

If you think T&E is designed for non-domestic applications then you are as deluded as I already know you to be.
Please refer to the regulation(s) which say that T&E is not to be used for non-domestic applications.

If you cannot, then this would be yet another example of you not liking the way things are, wishing that they were otherwise, and deciding that it is therefore perfectly OK for you to make false claims about how they are.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
And your point is ?
Presumably that he has no opportunity to alter the design and is not in any way responsible for the design (i.e. "won't be signing as the designer").

What someone in his position should/would do if they believed the design to be unsatisfactory is, I suppose, a matter for individual decision. In the first instance, I suppose one would express one views to the designer - but that could be 'diplomatically' difficult! Ultimately, of course, one could refuse to 'construct' something which one believed to be unsatisfactorily designed - but, again, in the real world that could have repercussions.

Kind Regards, John

I live in the real world and am not afraid of what you refer to as repercussions.

DS

Sponsored Links
I live in the real world and am not afraid of what you refer to as repercussions.
I am genuinely happy for you. Unfortunately, for most of my working life I have had to 'tread carefully', and I'm sure that I am not alone in that.

Kind Regards, John

What are you talking about? All 1.5mm^2 T&E contains a 1mm^2 cpc.
I suspect he means that (despite the apparent views on your side of the water) he hasn't used 1.5mm² T&E for a while (presumably using 1mm² instead).

Kind Regards, John

And your point is ?

DS
Presumably that he has no opportunity to alter the design and is not in any way responsible for the design (i.e. "won't be signing as the designer").

What someone in his position should/would do if they believed the design to be unsatisfactory is, I suppose, a matter for individual decision. In the first instance, I suppose one would express one views to the designer - but that could be 'diplomatically' difficult! Ultimately, of course, one could refuse to 'construct' something which one believed to be unsatisfactorily designed - but, again, in the real world that could have repercussions.

Kind Regards, John

Quite right John, I have no say in what is used or how it is installed

The system has been designed by one party.
The responsibility for that design has been accepted by second party, a contractor who will do all the testing and certifying. I assume the job will be signed off by these or the designer.
The second party are supplying materials and have contracted out the physical work to a third party, the company I am working for.
As is usual, we have raised a number of RFI's about the spec and materials however we are obliged to install as contracted in the original spec and any subsequent amendments that may arise.
My opinions, and those of the company I'm working for, are completely irrelevant in this situation. Obviously H&S, duty of care and the like still apply.

I suspect he means that (despite the apparent views on your side of the water) he hasn't used 1.5mm² T&E for a while (presumably using 1mm² instead).

Kind Regards, John
I don't use much T&E type cable as most of my work is commercial. Recently I have found 3C&E uses a similar sized CPC, I assumed this has happened with T&E too.

I also suggest you look at 7.9 in the OSG.
I never invested in a green or yellow one, and mine does not have a 7.9.

Which number is it in the original 2008 red OSG? Or, alternatively, to which regulation(s) in BS 7671 does it refer?

"Happened"? Has it ever been different?

Kind Regards, John
1.5mm² 3C&E used to include a 1.0mm² CPC, the latest I've used has a 1.5mm². With the traffic that happened last year [or was it the year before] I'd assumed the change has happened in T&E too.

1.5mm² 3C&E used to include a 1.0mm² CPC, the latest I've used has a 1.5mm². With the traffic that happened last year [or was it the year before] I'd assumed the change has happened in T&E too.
Oh, I see. Maybe it's just a function of my limited experience/exposure, but I have to say that I've never seen (nor even noticed being offered for sale) either 1.5mm² 3C+E or 1.5mm² T+E with a 1.5mm² CPC - in both cases, all I've ecer seen is a 1mm² CPC.

Kind Regards, John

What I stated is correct.

T&E in non-domestic applications is, frankly, crap. Where high fault currents exist, it may also be completely unsuitable.

Any good school spec is for galvanised trunking/conduit with LS0H singles (6491B). T&E in schools is complete rubbish and should never be specified that way.

Have you verified that the 1mm^2 cpc will be adequately protected by your C curve circuit breakers?
Just for you A couple of pics of how a brand spanking new school is wired by professional Electricians

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back