Turning off radiators in rooms that are too hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it OK to turn off radiators in the bedrooms located in my converted loft as it gets too warm up there? The radiators do not have TRVs fitted and are above the Vaillant combi-boiler.

Regards

JT

Sponsored Links
why not just fit TRVs and set them to the frost setting for peace of mind ? you wont do any harm shutting them off but they could be damaged by frost if it got cold enough

I can't see it ever getting that cold up there as we have to open the velux windows in the winter when the heating is on. It's like a sauna up there compared to first and ground floor.

Is it an easy job Ian? Would I need to drain the system to fit TRVs?

lots of different systems and different ways if changing the valves to TRVs but if cold isnt a problem just close the manual valves it will not harm your system in any way, just be aware that your system might possibly need one radiator without a TRV left open as a by-pass radiator usually either the bathroom or the hall radiator but it is possible that your loft is being used as the by-pass

Sponsored Links
Are the radiators hot upstairs and cooler downstairs? I'm guessing that these are new rads on an old system. Was the system ever balanced after the new rads were installed? My guess would be that all the flow, or at least more than the loft's fair share of CH water is going to the new rads and that's why the loft is hot. Plus of course was any sort of calcs done to work out how big the new rads should be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back