turning off water in combi sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i want to fit new kitchen sink, there are no valves on the pipes going to the taps at present meaning i have to turn the water off at the main, I have a combi heating system, would i be right in thinking that if i turn off the cold water supply going into the combi then run both taps this is the way to empty the supply so i can cut the pipes to fit the new taps and flexi connectors? Then turn the water back on and return the combi to 1 bar

Sponsored Links
would i be right in thinking that if i turn off the cold water supply going into the combi then run both taps this is the way to empty the supply

only the hot the cold will still be on

Then turn the water back on and return the combi to 1 bar

no need to touch the pressure ;)

you need to find a stop cock to turn off the cold. With good luck you will have one in the corner of the kitchen or wherever the mains comes into the house, with reasonable luck you will have one in the pavement or front garden. With bad luck you will not have one and might do best to ask round friends and neighbours for a recommended plumber who can put one in.

You need to turn the water main off, not the feed into the boiler - no need to go anywhere near the boiler.
You could turn the water main off, check the taps are off, cut the pipes and install isolating valves (leave in off position) and turn the main back on - this way the rest of the house will have water and you can fit the taps.

Sponsored Links
thanks, isolating valves will go on once ive traced the water main later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back