Tv aerial help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. 2 months ago my electrician has fed a cable from my TV aerial to a socket in our new garden room. However..the socket looks like its a Sat socket...I was expecting a normal aerial port..
I've only just got round to installing a TV so hadn't really noticed til now. Can I still use this socket and if so what type of connector would I need?

Sponsored Links
You need a F type male to male coax connector

I am assuming that the socket has the thread protruding from it.

At the risk of being blunt , a male part "inserts" in to a female part.

Your TV will have a female coax socket- you plug the end of the fly lead in to it. Traditionally, the wall plate would have been female, you plug the other end of the fly lead in to it.

In your case, the wall plate has a threaded F type connection that projects outwards, that is still a female connection, the reason being that when using F-types, the copper core "inserts" in to the center of the sticky out bit.

Other than having to buy an adaptor, he did you a favour. F type connectors are less lossy than coax.

Last edited:
Can I still use this socket and if so what type of connector would I need?
Possibly an 'F connector' -

...or you could change the socket! :)

Sponsored Links
Possibly an 'F connector' -

...or you could change the socket! :)

Good spot. Annoyingly they don't say how long it is but it is better option. Mine may have added an extra 2cm (or more projection from the wall)

Do you know if they do these with a right angle connector to the wall?. Trying to streamline the look a bit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back