TV bracket on plasterboard possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a thought but my sister is having front room soundproofed so vertical battens then foam insulation in between followed by plasterboard on top then skimmed.

I've seen some special plasterboard fixings called Molly plugs which are metal plugs that expand outwards with a special tool. If I use around 8 of them would it be safe to hold a 46 inch led tv? I'm assuming here none of the screws will go into the timber as it will be difficult to know their position.

Sponsored Links
If you know approx where the tv is going get extra battens or a sheet of ply fitted.

Have the wall holding tv lined with osb before plasterboard and then you can mount directly too wall, the plasterboard alone will not support TV.

Thanks guys would plyboard be ok to mount the bracket on and what fittings would be suitable? Also what is OSB?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't mount of plaster board alone, especially not a tv, however my friend did his a couple of years ago and it's still up there. I would not normally mention this as it may be encouraging you to do, which i'm not, but I recently removed a big 3Kw radiator from my hallway, which weighed 50Kg's and this was mounted on a metal stud wall (not through the studs) using 4 toggle fixings.

I can't believe it was still attached.

On another note the the one in my lads bedroom has cracked the plaster board. I must fix / reattach this soon!

Daz.

And bear in mind that once mounted on the wall any sound and vibration given our by the TV will be transmitted through the wall .......

Tricky..
My gut feel is that I wouldn't mount the TV on the plasterboard either - I'd want to screw into the masonry behind it.
But if the soundproofing wall is done properly it should have as little contact with the masonry wall as possible to minimize sound transference, and going through the plasterboard and into the masonry behind it will cause a 'short'.

According to the Rawlplug website an M6 spring toggle can support upto 20kg in 12.5mm plasterboard.

A 46" LCD TV weighs in about 20kg and the biggest TV I can quickly find details for is an 80" monster weighing 60kg.

So in theory, four spring toggles in 12.5mm plasterboard should support the TV no trouble - but of course the plasterboard needs to be mounted securely enough to the battens and the battens to the masonry so that the whole thing doesnt fall off the wall, all of which is likely to increase the contact area between soundproofing wall and the masonry behind it and increase noise transmission.

... but I recently removed a big 3Kw radiator from my hallway, which weighed 50Kg's and this was mounted on a metal stud wall (not through the studs) using 4 toggle fixings.

I can't believe it was still attached.

I have exactly the same thing in my house - huge double rads held to the plasterboard with toggle fixings, though I think some of the weight is being supported by the pipes.

[/url]

Thanks guys, some really interesting points made here. My gut instint also tells me not to mount direct to the plasterboard and isn't something I would do in my own house. I've always put up TV brackets using 6-8 large 10mm rawlplugs and bolts directly into brick or breeze block. I need to think this one through as if I decide to go with the all option I'll need to get the sparky to run a power cable up the wall for a socket and HDMI cables before the wall is made good after the the insulation goes in.

My brother-in-law works from home alot and there are noisy kids next door (terraced house) hence the soundproofing. They've already the back room done and apparently with the insulation, plasterboard and skim it's about 4-5 inches thick hence the need for a strong mounting point. I may see if the insulation fitter can put up some 12.5mm ply/OSB in the area where the TV will go. Otherwise I think my sister may go for plan B which is just to get a decent height table and sit the TV on that. The ceilings are high in her house which is why I suggested a wall mounted option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back