TV Gone Bang

On the subject though, look at any american tv programme / film they always seem to have old crts that look like something from the 70's surely they have modern tv's?

Sponsored Links
On the subject though, look at any american tv programme / film they always seem to have old crts that look like something from the 70's surely they have modern tv's?
Maybe you need to watch some post 1970's films and progs :!: :LOL: :LOL:

I have also seen many American programmes, albeit old ones, that feature those very early circular CRTs which, to make them appear slightly more 'square', have masks at the top and bottom of the screen.

Sponsored Links
You can plug your tv into your stereo - you will get the sound out of better speakers, but nothing fancy.

If you want the vocals separating, and surround sound (movies etc), you will need to at a minimum have a dedicated AV receiver-type thingy.

Best off, I would take a trundle to Richer Sounds - I find them very knowledgeable, and the prices are excellent, too (no - I am not associated with RS in any way, apart from being a very satisfied customer) :)

I have been living off recycled TV's for years!
I'm very wary of old TV's, a few years ago my TV caught fire and luckily the smoke alarm saved us in the middle of night, the way I'm feeling it's safer to buy a new one

Would you believe we was watching London Burning that evening :!:

It's on the tip now.

I dare say someone could repair it, but it was getting extremely hot and smelly as it was switching on and off frequently all of its own accord. I didn't trust it not to catch fire.

I would take a trundle to Richer Sounds - I find them very knowledgeable, and the prices are excellent, too (no - I am not associated with RS in any way, apart from being a very satisfied customer) :)

Me too. Have been since 1983!

I don't buy all my gear there, it depends who has the best price, but they are generally good for prices and excellent for advice.

Re sound quality, I agree its pretty poor on all flat screens, best to invest in an inexpensive sound bar, wont give to home cinema quality but improves things no end.

Inherited an old CRT Trinitron from my Ma which went bang fizz last week.

What would you replace it with?

;)

If it takes you as long to decide on a tv as it did a mobile them you'll forget why you want one.

Wondered when you were going to pop up with that old chestnut... ;)

I know it took me ages...but I got there in the end. Unlike British Rail. ;)

Got a new telly today.

There. That shut you up, didn't it? ;)

A Sammy. Someone on here recommended one, I can't think who it was now?;)

I didn't fancy 3D, so went for the UE40F5500. Still raved about by the journo's and a bit cheaper.

I got it from John Lewis with a 5 year guarantee for £429.

I can find it for £400 on the net, but only with 12 months. JL will match other retailer's prices, but the warranty has to match too.

They never used to stipulate this, but do now, as they were giving money away before.

The only thing I've noticed so far is that, despite the router being in the same room, there is a dreadful lag, so I will run a cable to the TV in the hope of improving it.

Thanks for your help.

While I'm an advocate for the getting TVs for free thing (we're on our second free one), if you're after a new one, I'd go for a Smart TV. But that reflects my own tastes/wants. The extra functionality seems worth it, for what you get (iPlayer and youtube on TV is a nice thing IMHO). Not played with one yet though.

As for 3D, and HD - all seems like window dressing to me. If I spend time admiring the picture quality, then it distracts from what I'm watching, and I don't normally notice any poor picture quality currently, so I see no need for such things.

Although if I was was silly enough to move up to 40" TVs, then HD may be worth it.

Another factor that does not yet seem to have a mention is energy. If you plan to watch a lot of TV each week, you should consider how much energy it uses. This link compares each model. Set it to the type and size of TV you want:
http://www.sust-it.net/energy-saving.php?id=149

Sponsored Links
Back