TV Wall Mount Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20240524_150209_MP.jpg

Excuse the pig mess...

Here is our existing TV. It's a 48" set, but we will be replacing it with a 55" set, mounted on the wall behind.

The current TV is almost the width of chest and the larger TV is approximately 150mm wider.

I propose to move the light switches over to the architrave, possibly mounting them vertically.

My dilemma is: do I fix the TV direct to the wall and sink some trunking into the wall, or do I fix some kind of timber structure to the wall, behind which I can run the cables?

The cables will be the power supplies for the TV and a streaming stick, a gaggle of HDMI leads, co-ax, soundbar leads and a Cat 6 cable.

If I go for a timber structure, I'm not sure of the extent of it?

Should I go floor to ceiling and if so, should I continue the coving around it?

Sponsored Links
Or should I just finish the timber just above the top of the TV?

I need some pointers really, about what looks good and what would look ridiculous.

Is it a solid wall or a stud wall?

Either way, why not run the cables in the wall?

If it's a solid dividing wall, you're gonna struggle with getting that many cables in the wall. There is guidance on how much of the wall you can chase, buts it's something like 20-30% depth.

Also, your point about moving the switch, if it's a stud wall, you're gonna have studs around your door frame that might spoil your plans. Or if it's a solid wall, to keep your zones correct, you'll have to rechase the whole cable.

All of the above means a custom timber type structure would be much easier and less messy.

This kind of stuff is pretty popular nowadays! You could build it off the wall a little and run all your cables behind it and be able to run new cables in the future.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, guys.

Is it a solid wall or a stud wall?

Either way, why not run the cables in the wall?
Cinder block.

If it's a solid dividing wall, you're gonna struggle with getting that many cables in the wall. There is guidance on how much of the wall you can chase, buts it's something like 20-30% depth.

Also, your point about moving the switch, if it's a stud wall, you're gonna have studs around your door frame that might spoil your plans. Or if it's a solid wall, to keep your zones correct, you'll have to rechase the whole cable.
I'm familiar with the chasing depths. I will make sure the wiring is still in zone.
All of the above means a custom timber type structure would be much easier and less messy.

This kind of stuff is pretty popular nowadays! You could build it off the wall a little and run all your cables behind it and be able to run new cables in the future.
Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards this solution.

Thanks for the link, but I'm not sure where it's going.

Last edited:
If you do wanna do the chase wall and trunking route, I did it recently.

I got a Samsung frame that has a separate box that lives below the TV where all the HDMI etc connects to, and then it just has one wire that runs to the TV.

I still had to bury some pretty big trunking in the wall to get the cable through. It was something like this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Trunking_Pvc_Index/Maxi_32/index.html

I can find the exact dimensions of the trunking needed if you do go down the Samsung route.

Thanks twillmo. I still had trouble with the link, but managed to isolate it here.

Decided 55" is too big, so going to get a 50" set.

Will no longer be wall-mounting, so sorry to disappoint those waiting for progress reports!

But thank you to everyone for your help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back