Twin and earth outside - Legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an extension built in October '08 and the leckie we hired to install sockets originally said he would take a new feed direct from the fuse box via a cable run outside. In the end he extended the ring main from an existing socket. No problem, but yesterday I cut down a big chunk of Ivy outside and revealed his wiring.

This is unprotected twin and earth run diagonally across the outside wall (along with an aerial cable). Now I thought that at least he ought to have added a loop or bend to protect against drips, and sealed the holes, even if the wires werent armoured or in some conduit.

Sorry I cant work out how to include an image so Ive created an album: //www.diynot.com/network/LanMan/albums

Is this legal?
His comment was 'its on a diagonal so whats the problem?'
Cheers

LanMan

Sponsored Links

bloody cowboy.... what else is lurking about that could be wrong with your extension..?
has the floor dropped?
any cracks appearing inside?

Is this legal?
His comment was 'its on a diagonal so whats the problem?'
Cheers

LanMan

Flat twin and earth is not suitable for use directly outside so it does not meet the requirement P1 of part P hence it is illegal.
What was his horse called?

Sponsored Links
Could you please explain why he couldn't have run the cable internally ?

I assume the 'bridge' outside is to avoid some sort of problem with 'just' drilling internally from one side of a wall to another. Is there a huge steel or concrete pillar obstruction.

It's a bodge, it's wrong and I'd ask him to return and sort it out.

Well thats conclusive! Thanks all.

The irony is that he used our extension as one of his assement pieces for his annual certification. We had the inspectors round last week and they did not spot this, (OK-it was hidden by a small jungle). Should they have insisted on checking any wiring that routes externally? For example the armoured cable feeding our pond filter?

How do I complain about inspectors?

LanMan

Even for the aerial cable that's wrong - there should be (as you mentioned yourself) a drip loop at the bottom, otherwise water can run down the cable, and in to your house...

If you know which scheme it was with (e.g. NICEIC, napit etc) you could probably call them up, describe what was done and why you've only just found it, and how it was used as an assessment piece - they'd probably be quite interested in coming out and checking again...

Could you please explain why he couldn't have run the cable internally ?
Well no. The heating engineer drilled a big hole to take his pipes to feed a couple of rads. They run through the wall parallel to the bodge. Would there have been too much heat to use the same hole?

Maybe he drilled the hole with the intention of running wires back to the switch box (further along the same wall) and decided to tap into the existing ring?

It's a bodge, it's wrong and I'd ask him to return and sort it out.
Yep he is coming back this week. But I am less than happy that this apparently illegal installation was used to approve continued certification. Should I just let it go after its fixed or use it to put a jolt up his certifier?

:(

LM

As said before, I'd let NAPIT or whoever know. They would raise a few eyebrows & hotfoot it over to your joint to have an eyeball.

Get him to find an internal route and get rid of the external mess.

Depending on how he responds will guide you on how to react to his ethic and attitude.

In real terms, there's little chance of it "degrading" in sunlight. I'd be more concerned about rodent damage at that level, and the mutual detrimental effects of running 230v and an aerial together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back