Twin brown brown and earth

Obviously not, but that picture presumably depicts a regs-compliant situation.

I remind you that we are talking about the regs (which require only that 'identification' distinguishes L and N), not about identifying the function of each conductor. If some of those browns were blue (with no other identification), your argument would presumably be much the same, but then it would not be regs-compliant.
Only if you think such Blues are not identified by their terminations.

Sponsored Links
Only if you think such Blues are not identified by their terminations.
As I said, I really don't think that would be within either the intent or spirit of the regs - the point of which is surely to require 'identification' (as 'L' or 'N') of conductors even if they are not connected to anything.

Kind Regards, John

As I said, I really don't think that would be within either the intent or spirit of the regs -
Ok.

the point of which is surely to require 'identification' (as 'L' or 'N') of conductors even if they are not connected to anything.
That doesn't affect my proposal when they are connected to something which identifies them, does it?

Sponsored Links
It's not pointless - it's a requirement if you don't use the correct cable.
514.1 - Except where there is no possibility of confusion..."

Pointless:
upload_2020-3-22_19-0-40.png

Last edited:
That doesn't affect my proposal when they are connected to something which identifies them, does it?
It doesn't affect your proposal but, as I said, I don't think it's a proposal which is within eiether the intent or spirit of the regs.

I realise that there are millions of cases of it out there, but I've never heard anyone suggest that it is compliant (with regs) to use an unsleeved blue (or black) as a line conductor provided it is connected to the terminal of an accessory.

Kind Regards, John

How then could you possibly 'identify' the wires? Was it only the fact that they were, or were sleeved, Brown/Red

If they were not, did you think one of them might have been a Neutral?
No of course not, because I grew up in an era when when electricians were employed and could be trusted to do a proper job, additionally the DIYers who did electrical work understood how lights were wired without being spoon fed.

While on the subject of wiring colours, the house I grew up in, being a post war ex-council house was all wired in split tube with rubber/cotton singles and all the S/L's were red rubber with green cotton.

Oooh, not seen that for years...thanks for the memories!
And now my confession, it was only a very few years ago the last of the rubber/cotton was replaced. However at 60 years old, I don't think any of it was at the end of it's life or unsafe.

If twin brown is such a brilliant idea (it's not), why don't they make triple brown for two-way lighting strappers?
I suspect they do, but no-one buys it - just like many suppliers will tell you twin-brown is not available because they don't sell it (due to lack of demand).
Twin brown is a brilliant idea
I agree (y)
and brown and blue should be illegal for misuse as a switch drop without a neutral.
It is in some places.
While on the subject of wiring colours, the house I grew up in, being a post war ex-council house was all wired in split tube with rubber/cotton singles and all the S/L's were red rubber with green cotton.
There's the answer to all the complaints/"discussions" ...
Lets go back to wiring done properly, in conduit, then we can use singles :ROFLMAO: Of course, then the argument would be over whether to use Orange, or Violet, or ... for switched live :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back